Come Closer

"And I'll have... Two plates of beef lasagna!" Sasha chirped as she handed her menu to the waiter. The waiter wrote down Sasha's order onto his note book. "Anything else?" Our heads shook as he collected the menus that were laying around on your table, bowing his head before leaving for the kitchen with your orders.

Connie snickered, "With all the food you eat, I'm surprised you don't gain any weight at all." Connie stabbed Sasha in her rib with his elbow as he laughed, ignoring a baffled Sasha. He turned your attention to you and Jean, "So what, y'all are broken up now?" This time, it was Sasha who stabbed Connie in the rib, "With all the shit coming out of your mouth, I'm surprised you still have enough to go for a shit every day!" Sasha retorted. Cue the start of your headache.

You pinched the bridge of your nose, "Jean, I thought we were going for dinner alone. Care to explain why the two of them are here?" You narrowed your eyes at the man in question, who was sitting beside you. He raised his arms defensively, "I crashed at Connie's last night and told him I was going out to have dinner with you. He insisted that he should join." "Well that explains him, what about her?" You gestured towards Sasha. The duo had gone into a rib stabbing battle, oblivious that they were the current topic of conversation between you and Jean.

"Connie was FaceTiming her to ask about some shit and she heard that Connie inviting himself to dinner with us, so then she also insisted that she should come." He grinned, "And here we are!"

"At least I'm not like horse face over there! With the amount of smugness he gives off, I'm surprised he was even able to get a girlfriend who could tolerate him at all!" Connie growled at Sasha as he pointed towards Jean.

Jean slammed the table with his fist, "You take that back! That wasn't even a good one, you bald ass bitch who's a pathetic excuse for an egg!" The table went silent, confusion plastered on everyone's faces. 

"Y-you know, because you're bald. Like an egg." Jean stammered. You leaned towards Jean and whispered, "Yours wasn't good either." Jean twitched his eye, his jaw slackened. You shrugged, "His good looks got it going for him."

"Wait, so did you guys really break up?" Sasha picked up where Connie left off, causing him to turn to her with a bewildered expression, "Didn't you just fucking come at me about-" Sasha slammed Connies' head onto the table with a loud bang as she hushed him, glancing between you and Jean.

Your hands clutched onto your pants as you nervously tried to think of what to say to them. "Well..." "Yeah, what of it?" Jean interrupted you. "WHAT?!" They gasped in unison as Sasha released her hold on Connies' head, allowing him to snap his head back up. "We just figured that we're better off as friends. No biggie." Jean casually said as he hung an arm around your shoulder.

"But you were googling for baby -" Jean slammed his fist on the table again, "Shut the fuck up, Springer!" 

You looked at Jean, as if trying to read his mind and figure out what he was feeling as the three of your friends continued on their usual banter until your food arrived on the table. Something about him was slightly different from when you last saw him on the day of your break up.

Your keys jingled as you were unlocking your door with Jean lingering behind you, waiting for you to enter. After the rowdy dinner you had with your friends, Jean insisted on sending you home. You didn't mind, of course, but that also meant that you would be alone with him and you didn't really know how to feel about that. Unsurprisingly, Jean had a whole list of things to catch you up on since you've been missing-in-action. He took the opportunity on your long walk home with him to update you on every single thing, including what he ate for the past few days.

"I wasn't completely wrong, was I?" Jean asked, barely loud enough for you to hear. You stopped fiddling with your keys, "About?" You asked without turning to look at him.