The Puppet Master

A/N: So it has come to my attention that (Y/N) is at the wrong age. He is currently 12, about to be 13. He is supposed to be 14 but I miscalculated while writing the story. So I changed a detail in the chapter "Before" and "The Runaway". (Y/N) ran away when he was 12. So when he found the family on the farm he was twelve. Making to where when he left he was fourteen. So now that's fixed let us continue the story.

No One's POV

It was night as Team Avatar were sitting around a campfire in some woods. Everyone was listening to Sokka as he was telling a scary story, "Suddenly they heard something down the hall in the dark. OoooooOOOoOohh. It came into the torchlight and they knew the blade of Wing Fu was haunted!" Sokka stood up to pick up a wooden sword, "OOoooOAAAAA!" Everyone else was laying down as they seemed bored for Aang to turn his head at Sokka, "I think that I like the man with a sword for a hand better." Toph looked incredibly bored, "Water Tribe slumber parties must stink." (Y/N) used his bending to keep the fire lit, "We surprisingly told a lot better scary stories at the Palace."

Katara decided to try and make the night better, "I've got a scary story, and this is a true Southern Water Tribe story." Sokka sat down, "Is this one of those "A friend of my cousin knew some guy that this happened to" story?" "No, it happened to mom." Everyone became intrigued as they all sat up to face Katara as she started her story, "One winter, when mom was a girl a snowstorm buried the whole village for weeks. A month later, mom realized that she hadn't seen her friend Nini since the storm. So mom and some others went to check on Nini's family. When they got there, no one was home. Just a fire flicking in the fireplace. While the men went out to search mom stayed in the house. When she was alone, she heard a voice. "It's so cold, and I can't get warm." ." Sokka and Aang started to get creeped out, to which Katara noticed as she continued, "Mom turned and saw Nini standing by the fire. She was blue, like she was frozen. Mom ran outside for help, but when everyone came back Nini was gone."

Aang had Momo on his head as he pulled the anima's ears around his head, Toph was sitting normally, Sokka was hiding behind a log, as (Y/N) was leaning forward as he was enjoying the story, "Where did she go?" Katara stared into the campfire, "No one knows. Nini's house stands empty to this day. But sometimes, people see smoke coming up from the chimney. Like little Nini is still trying to get warm."

When the story ended Toph eyes widened as she gasped, "Wait. Guys, did you hear that?" Sokka and Aang to quickly hug Katara from fear, as Toph stood up, "I hear people under the mountain, and they're screaming." (Y/N) stood up, "Pfft. Nice try Toph." "No, I'm serious, I hear something." "You're probably just jumpy from the ghost stories." "It just stopped." Aang clung onto Katara, "All right, now I'm getting scared." They then heard an old lady's voice behind the Avatar and the siblings, "Hello children."

All five of them screamed as they huddled together and hugged each other close to look opposite from them. The old lady walked out from the shadows into the light of the campfire, "Sorry to frighten you, my name is Hama. You children shouldn't be out in the forest by yourselves at night. I have an inn nearby, why don't you come back there for some spiced tea and warm beds?" The five looked at each other for Sokka to rub the back of his head, "Yes, please."

The six arrived at the inn for the children to sit at a table as the lady made them some tea. As she poured the tea Katara looked relaxed as she rested her head on her hand, "Thanks for letting us stay here tonight, you have a lovely inn." The lady set the kettle down, "Aren't you sweet." She then sat down, "You know, you should be careful. People have been disappearing in those woods you were camping in." Sokka rested his arm on the table, "What do you mean, disappearing?" "When the moon turns full, people walk in. And they don't come out." She then stood back up with a smile, "Who wants more tea?" The children did not respond though as they all were stricken with fear. The lady tried to reassure them, "Don't worry, you'll all be completely safe here. Why don't I show you to your rooms, and you can get a good night's rest?"