A Time To Learn and Relax

No One's POV

It was late at night as everyone, except for Zuko, was getting ready to eat dinner. As they were about to eat Zuko walked up to the group, "Listen everybody, I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff." Toph threw her hands up, "Don't look at me. I didn't touch your stuff." "I'm talking about my fire bending. It's gone." This made Katara laugh, "I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know, how it would've nice for us if you lost your fire bending a long time ago?" "Well it's not lost it's just weaker for some reason." "Maybe you're just not as good as you think you are." (Y/N) swallowed some of his food, "Ouch."

Zuko then thought of something, "I bet it's because I switched sides." Katara rolled her eyes, "That's ridiculous." Aang thought about Zuko's problem for a second, "Maybe it isn't. Maybe your bending comes from rage. And maybe you just don't have enough anger to fuel it the way you used to." Sokka stood next to Zuko, "So all we have to do is make Zuko angry. Easy enough." Sokka started poking Zuko with a stick making Zuko shout, "Okay cut it out! Look. Even if you're right I don't want to rely on hate and anger anymore. There has to be another way." Toph stared blankly ahead of her, "You're gonna have to learn to draw your fire bending from a different source. I recommend the original source." Sokka sat next to her, "How's he supposed to do that? By jumping into a volcano?" "No. Zuko needs to go back to whatever the source of fire bending is." "So is it jumping into a volcano?" "I don't know. For earth bending the original benders were badgermoles. One day, when I was little, I ran away and hid in a cave. That's where I met them. They were blind, just like me, so we understood each other. I was able to learn earth bending, not just as a martial art but as an extension of my senses. For them, the original earth benders, it wasn't just about fighting. It was their way of interacting with the world."

When Toph finished her story Aang spoke up, "That's mazing Toph. I learned from the monks, but the original air benders were the sky bison." Aang looked over at Appa, "Maybe you can give me a lesson sometime buddy." Appa roared for Zuko to sigh, "That doesn't help me. The original fire benders were the dragon's and they're extinct." "What do you mean? Roku had a dragon, and there were plenty of dragons when I was a kid." "Well they're not around anymore, okay?" "Okay. Sorry." "But maybe there's another way. The first people to learn from the dragons were the ancient Sun Warriors." "Sun Warriors? Well I know they weren't around when I was a kid." "No, they died off thousands of years ago. But their civilization wasn't to far from where we are now. Maybe we could lean something by poking around the ruins." "It's like the monks used to tell me. Sometimes, the shadows of the past can be felt by the present." (Y/N) finished eating, "So, what? Maybe you'll pick up some old Sun Warrior energy just by standing where they stood thousands of years ago?" Zuko shrugged, "More or less. Either I find a new way to fire bend, or the Avatar had to find a new teacher."

The Next Morning

It has been an hour since Aang and Zuko left to find the dragons. (Y/N) was near the fountain with Katara, as (Y/N) had asked her to meet with him. She had her arms crossed, "What did you want to talk about?" "Is it possible for water benders to bend steam?" "Well some can heat up water with their bending, so when it turns to steam they can control it for a few seconds until it becomes air. Why?" "Can you do it?" "Of course I can." (Y/N) spoke to himself, "Well fire benders can control steam as well. I've done it before." "What?" (Y/N) looked back at Katara, "Remember when Combustion man shot at us back at the hot spring, and I bended it away?" "Yeah." "So it must of been steam coming out of his head." "What are you getting at?" "Well what if we could do what Combustion man did?" Katara looked at (Y/N) with some concern in her eyes, "Did you hit your head this morning?" "All it would take is a water bender to and fire bender to mix the two elements together at the right amounts to make steam, and then while they have the chance to control it, shoot it in a direction. The sudden hot temperature will then cause steam to go boom." "Really?" "I have no idea." "What makes you think that this'll work?" "Well we discovered that metal bending and blood bending is a thing, so might as well try it when we have time." Katara shrugged, "It's better than watching Sokka practicing with his boomerang. So what do we do first?" (Y/N) created a flame in his hand, "First we need to figure out how much water and fire it takes to make steam that isn't too much for us not to control it all, but not enough that we can't shoot it at all." "How do we do that?"