Eight

After classes, most of the students started to leave the classroom.

Zhixin walked over to Yanni's desk with one strap of his bag over his shoulder. 'So are we going to the skateboarding ramp or what?'

'Of course we are.' Xinhao answered excitedly, getting up from his desk.

'Wait guys, we have a presentation tomorrow and we've got nothing. Don't you think we should use this little time we have to prepare?' Yanni said to both of the boys, who frowned. Being in the same group with the boys was torture, and these were the moments she wished groups were distributed at random rather than letting everyone make their own choice.

'Come on that's boring.' Xinhao told her. 'We'll do what we did last time, we'll wing it.'

'We didn't wing it last time,' Yanni protested. 'I ended up doing all the work and giving you guys stuff to memorize...which you didn't even do well.'

'Oh you're right, so why don't we do what we did last time?' Zhixin bit his lip. 'We go to the skateboarding ramp,' Zhixin referred to him and Xinhao, 'while you do all the work again.'

Zuo was listening as he packed up his books. He looked in their direction discreetly, feeling angry at Xinhao and Zhixin for how they were treating Yanni. Too bad there was nothing he could say.

'Seriously?' Yanni got up from her desk. 'You guys better stop this or else I'm gonna tell the teacher.'

Xinhao laughed.

'No way,' Zhixin pinched Yanni's cheek cutely. 'I know my honey-poo wouldn't report to the teacher even if she had to. You love me too much.'

'You'd be surprised.' Yanni mumbled, even though they all knew she wouldn't do something like that. They knew she was going to write the group presentation and allocate content to each of the other members like she usually did.

'I bet not,' Zhixin pecked her on the cheek. 'See you tomorrow.'

'Yeah.' She mumbled.

Zhixin and Xinhao walked out of the room together. Yanni turned to Zuo's direction, surprised that he was staring at them and had probably heard everything.

Zuo quickly looked away.

'You must probably think I'm an idiot right?' Yanni said to him as she put her bag on her back.

'Of course not.' Zuo answered lowly.

Yanni forced a smile at him then walked out of the classroom. Her smile was beautiful as usual, and an involuntary smile appeared on Zuo's face.

'What the hell are you smiling at?' Vicky asked as she walked in with two milk-drink bottles. She had left to get a snack from the vending machine.

'It's nothing.' Zuo answered as Vicky threw one of the bottles at him, which he caught immediately.

He could see Yanni walking out of the classroom with her bag on her back.