Eighteen

Yanni walked down the stairs after she had gotten ready for another school day. This time, she didn't wear as much makeup as she usually did. It was just some light lip gloss. She didn't know how people would react to her apparent new look, but that was the least of her concerns at this moment.

However, it wasn't such a transformation since she was still wearing her stylish clothing. She wasn't willing to dive in that far already.

She was surprised to see her mother standing with her father. He rarely came now that they were going through a rough divorce, and she couldn't say she was happy to see him. Still, she was curious to see why he was there.

'Why aren't you wearing makeup?' her mother reprimanded, lifting her face to her.

Yanni groaned uncomfortably. 'I am, it's lip gloss.'

'Well that's too light, you're going to school Yanni. People are going to judge your appearance.'

'Shut up Karen,' her father intervened. 'What are you trying to do? Turn her into an exact replica of you?'

'Well that's certainly better than being an exact replica of you.' Yanni's mother shot back.

'What are you doing here dad?' Yanni asked to dismiss the conversation that seemed to be getting heated.

'Yanni dear, perhaps this is not the right time to tell you this but it was the only time your excuse of a father was free.' Yanni's mother rolled her eyes. 'You're going to be moving soon.'

'What?' Yanni asked with a look of shock.

'We're in debt, we can't afford this place anymore.' her mother informed her. 'At least your father has his own house, you can move in with him.'

The issue of her parents divorcing and being in debt was what was disturbing her all this time. It drove her crazy, but there was no one she could tell. It was a shameful situation for the family, more especially her mother who held herself very highly.

'But dad lives in the country side, I don't wanna go there. And I don't think I can handle it.'

'Your mother is moving into a one-roomed apartment, you think you can handle that?' her father teased.

Yanni sighed. Despite all the financial trouble going on in the family, she still had to parade around like a girl from an affluent family with a perfect life.

'So when are we moving?' Yanni finally asked, succumbing to the decision that had already been made.

'Well as soon as we find a buyer for this house.' her mother forced a smile. 'Now, go put on makeup before you get to school. You don't want to look like any typical girl in school right?'

'I'm not going to school today.' Yanni replied, tears starting to line her eyes.

'Well why not?' her mother asked daftly.

'My wrist really hurts.' She lied and started to run up the stairs, not wanting her parents to see her tears.

She threw herself on her bed and let the tears fall out of her eyes. Her life was certainly not beautiful, and pretending that it was having adverse effects on her.

She just wished she could talk to someone as she listened to her mother and father assigning blame on each other on who caused the debt they were paying heavily for.