Flatlining

A/N: This is my current collection of one shots which I will be releasing every Thursday! I hope you enjoy! 

Summary: When Maya sets off for a 3-alarm-fire the events that follow are ones that no one expected. With a serious injury Maya's life is left in the balance but will she survive?

                                                            _____________________________

One day. That's all it can take - to change everything.

When Maya flew out of her bed at 2am to the sound of the alarm she had no idea of the events that would follow.

It was a 3 alarm fire - nothing they hadn't handled before. A row of shops had caught on fire, the origin coming from an old 24hr laundromat. One of the dryers had got up in flames after some of the lint had sparked a flame. It didn't take much.

The team had been battling the fire well into the early hours of the morning after the flames only seemed to spread more and more not matter what they did. They had evacuated around 10 people - 8 of which had been in the laundromat and the other 2 had been residents in one fo the apartments above another shop.

It was only when one of the roofs had collapsed in that Maya had rushed into the burning buildings. Her team were in there and she would be damned if she stood back and watched them die. She battled her way through the thick smoke, calling out to navigate herself. "Herrera - Call out! Hughes!" She could feel her stomach drop as she heard nothing, the hairs on the back her neck were at full attention and her forehead was drenched in sweat.

The panic was setting in until she heard a groan not far from where she was.

"Hello?!" Maya shouted. She made her way closer and closer to the noise, very aware of the rising flames licking at the walls around her, the heat getting hotter and hotter. She was sure how much longer this building would be standing but she knew she had to move quickly.

She released a sigh when she felt her foot hit something hard. She kneeled to the ground and saw both Hughes and Herrera on the floor barely conscious. She knew she couldn't carry them both and it would take too long for anyone else to find where they were in the midst of the black smoke. So, she did what she knew best. She embraced the pain. She grabbed both of them by their collars and dragged them across the floor. Her lungs were burning, her legs were burning, everything hurt but this was her team; family, and you don't ever give up on family.

She managed to pull them both out side, the cold air hitting her hard.

Warren and Montgomery rushed over with set of gurneys and began working on them, giving them both oxygen masks to aid their harsh breathing.

As Maya turned back around, her eyes spotted something moving back inside - unaware the the rest of her team had safely evacuated themselves from the fire and were round the back of the building she rushed back inside. Only for a beam to come crashing down.

She heard it fall before she saw it, it creaked with a horrifying noise, like a high-pitched scream. Then a ball of flames erupted from above it, the whole ceiling acted as a stage for the dancing sparks to perform on.

Normally when faced with fear the body initiates what is know as the fight or flight response - but for whatever reasons Maya's normal fight never came. She stood frozen under the collapsing beam, it was if her feet had been burned into the ground and her body was made of lead because no matter how much her mind was telling her to move she couldn't.

She let her whole life flash before her eyes in a mere matter of seconds. Intense training. The whole sets of dishes being smashed against the wall in a blind rage. The olympics. The fire academy. Being lieutenant. Captain. Her wedding day to Carina - the most beautiful person in the world. Her smile. Her eyes. Her body. Her lips. It flashed by as if she were a photographer capturing her life in single snapshots.