Time

Summary: When Maya gets called into to work during her and Carina's anniversary they get into an argument resulting in Maya storming out of the house but when she returns home after a long shift she does her best to make it up to her.

This was also loosely inspired by NF's Time so go give that a listen if you want!!
A/N: Hope you enjoy!!
___________________________________

It was early. As in 5.30am early and Carina could feel a brush of cold air as the mattress dipped and the covers were removed from one half of the bed. Her eyes stayed shutting, willing her body to just fall back into a blissful sleep and to ignore the flurry of disturbances casting her discomfort.

She could hear shuffling of feet and then the sliding of a drawer attempting to be quietly opened, but failing so, and then more shuffling. A door opened - the connecting bathroom - Carina thought and then silence. She curled herself up into the left covers but frowned because the warm body that was normally next to her was missing.

She pushed her head further into her pillow trying to fall back asleep however she seemed to be in a state of conscious sleep where she could hear and feel everything going on around her but she just refused to wake up and open her eyes.

She knew exactly what was happening, and she didn't like it one bit. Maya was going for run, as she always did, 5.30 on the dot not a minute earlier or a minute later - it was strange really how something could be so on time every single day without the use of an alarm. But, today was different than every other day that her girlfriend had gone for a run, because today she had decided to go on a run on their anniversary.

They'd been together 3 years and this year Carina was determined to make this one special - the first year Maya had been forced to work due to a shortage of staff from a cold that had wrecked havoc across the station - "I'm captain Carina - I have to go in!"

The second year, Carina was absent. The head of OB had been at a conference and one other was on maternity leave herself which meant when the unpredictable nature of labour happened Carina had to rush into work. Then what was supposed to be a fairly simple procedure turned into multiple complications and many hours in surgery. When she returned home that night at 11.50pm Maya was already asleep.

But this year, this year would be different, she knew it. Third times the charm as she had heard Maya say last night. She allowed herself to finally fall back asleep, waiting for Maya to return home.

Some time later was awoken by a sudden stream of light invading the room. She ducked her head under the covers trying to shield herself as she heard a small chuckle come from the other side of the room.

"You know, you are going to have get out of bed sometime today."

"No. It's too early," Carina mumbled.

"It's 9am. Come on, up!" Maya said a bit louder.

"No," she grumbled in reply. However, she was interrupted by the sheets being ripped from her clutches. "Maya!" She cried feeling a rush of cold air hit her body.

"Come on," Maya said, crawling on top of her girlfriend. "Please," she begged, kissing her nose, then her forehead then finally on the mouth.

"Fine," Carina relented, pushing herself up into the arms of her sweaty girlfriend. "You didn't shower?!" She complained.

"Of course not, I thought someone would want to join me," she said wiggling her eyebrows up and down, a teasing smirk on her face.

"Did you now?" Carina teased.