Crying 'cause you weren't around

A/N: Thank you all so much for the response to the last one shot and for all your suggestions - I definitely have a lot of writing to do 😂😅 I hope you all enjoy this - I do admit I love writing song inspired fics and there is another one of them coming out also!

Summary: Maya's life had always been planned out until someone came and turned her world upside down. But nothing is perfect - can she handle the stress of being an High School Olympic prospect and a relationship??
                                                        _____________________________

It was 11pm. It was silent. The air was warm. The sun was gone.

Maya was driving, she didn't know exactly where she was, but she needed to escape. She found solace in the silence of the night. Being the only person on the road gave her something she had never felt anywhere else. Well, except for one place. But, that place was no longer hers. So, the empty roads would have to suffice.

Music sounded within the safe confines other car, the bass vibrating against her feet every so often as her hand tapped against the steering wheel, and her head subconsciously nodded along to the beat. She was allowing herself to be totally enveloped by the sound, ignoring everything else in the world. All the stress, and the anxiety, and the worries of life were behind her. Nothing else mattered to her when she was driving at night. The pain slipped away.

2 months ago, her life had been perfect. Well, almost. As Maya had come to find out - nothing was ever perfect. Not when you looked close enough. From a distance, everything can look whole and polished and calm. But, the closer you got, and the longer you stared you can see the small cracks and the fuzziness and the holes, the discrepancies that everyone looks over. Because what you refuse to see fails to exist - right?

Deep down she knew they were struggling, and looking back she had a feeling the other did as well but it was just one of those things they ignored because it was easier than admitting the truth.

Maya had been an 11th grade high school student. She was captain of the track team and was 2 time national champion, going for her third; she'd set records and broken them. Ever since she was a kid she'd had a plan. It was more like her dad's plan, but his plans became her plans and his dreams became her dreams. The Olympics. The holy grail of athletic talent all in one place, every four years. The battle of the fittest, the fastest and the best. It was the place where people become legendary. Maya's greatest desire was to become legendary, to walk out of that arena a winner, a champion.

Every single aspect of her life had a plan to it, a method, a means and a way of execution. It was expected. An easy prediction. Train, race, win. Simple. 5 am starts, strict meal plans and nutrition ever since she'd first set foot on a track. 'To be the best, you have too out-train the best.' That was what her dad had told her - those were the words he'd beaten into her brain. She knew them backwards, forwards and everyone other way - she could probably say them in a foreign language at this point. It was how she lived her life. Until, someone came into her life that wasn't in the plan. That wasn't expected. That had never and could never of been predicted.

She'd seen her from her locker, the first time they'd even locked eyes was right there. Where it had all started. A simple stare had changed everything.

People say that love at first can be rare, what most feel is a simulated boost of serotonin in the body from a new experience that it was one different from its usual routine. Not love, but merely a spike in hormones. But, whatever Maya had felt that day hadn't been the result of a few hormonal reactions because when she'd looked into those chestnut coloured eyes from across her locker in the hallway, her entire future flashed by her so quick she'd had to grip onto the metal door in her hands to keep her balance.