Chapter 13 - Catch Up

Angelina's POV

I was walking in the hall after last period, making my way to Linda's locker. I was pleased that I was going to catch up with her, she was a good friend after all.

I took a quick turn, but then I ran and hid, to avoid awkwardness. Coach Orion was walking in the same hall. From my hiding place, which was behind a set of lockers, I saw him walk past. Thank God he didn't notice anything, I'm not ready to talk to three people from my old team in one day.

I started to walk again and not long later I got to Linda's locker. She was there waiting for me.
"Hey! Sorry for taking so long." I said.
"Not a problem. I only got here a minute ago. So, ready to go?" She asked.
I nodded and we began to walk to the nearest exit.

~

We left the school and took a bus to a cafe in town. We arrived, ordered coffee and sat down.
"I gotta admit, it was extremely different without you, Ange."
"It seems to me that a lot has changed. It was really weird seeing it at first."
"Well I don't blame you for thinking that. Everything happened so fast that even I was shocked."

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to you and Charlie?"
He expression changed completely, to a more sad look. "I'm sorry I didnt-"
"No don't worry! We just went through a normal teenage break up. Nothing too bad."

I nodded, brushing it off, not wanting to ask for details.
"So how did it feel, you know winning 3 huge hockey world championships and all?"
"It was really fun but really stressful at the same time. There was such immense pressure but I did enjoy it nevertheless."

"That's sound so fun! Coming back to public school must have been a huge change."
"It was a bit weird going from constantly competing to going back to school. How 'bout you? I heard you got into track!"

"Oh yeah I did! At the start of sophomore year I had a really free schedule. So, Connie and Julie recommended for me to start a sport and I ended up committing to track. We went to a lot of meets and things. Connie and the group ended up coming to support me at all the meets. Averman and Goldberg even-"

She went on to talk about the team and what they did with Linda. It took her a while to stop talking. There was a pause, a very long one, before I began a new conversation.
"The team, how are they?"
"Well... very different. They're aren't one whole group anymore but two."

"When did that happen exactly?"
"Um... like around a month after you left. Its become very normal now."
After she said that I felt my heart skip a beat. What if they split up because of me? What if I'm the cause of all of this? What have I done?

"They still play together though. But not gonna lie, they are different on the ice without you. Everyone could tell, even some of the most clueless people."
Well yeah, all that's left is for them to stop playing together.
I immediately changed the subject.
"Do you remember Owen? My old English partner in freshmen year?"

"Oh yeah! He moved schools."
"What? Why?"
"After you left he got bullied... a lot."
"What!? By who!?"
She didnt reply.
"Well?" I asked.
"Banks and his friends wouldn't leave him alone."
"Why am I not surprised?" I huffed. "Pricks, they are."
"Tell me about!"

There was another pause.
"And there are three new members on the team." I stated.
"Yeah, they joined in sophomore year. They are just like-"
"Rick and Chris. Them two are the same as their brothers, jerks."
"Exactly!"

"But the other one, Holland. Scott's brother. He doesn't seem that bad." I said.
"He's bearable. I've never really talked to him so I don't really have an opinion."
"I've had a few encounters with him at the library actually."
"Yeah he's the only one in that whole group that steps foot in there." Linda added, making us both laugh.

We continued to talk about other stuff, turning our attention away from the team. I couldn't help but imagine how much worse the team thinks of me. From what it seems, my ex and his group are awful people, well... they became awful people. And the others group, with Connie and them lot seem to have stayed the same... I hope.

~

Connie's POV

We were currently walking out of school. We saw Linda waiting at her locker.
"Hey Linda! Wanna hang out with us after school?" Dean suggested as we stopped by her.
"Thank you guys, but I have plans today. I agreed to meet up with someone." She replied.

"Oooooo is it a boy?" Averman joked, nudging her gently.
She laughed. "No. Its an old friend."
"And old friend? Who?" Goldberg asked.
"Goldberg don't be nosy." I said.
"No no it's okay! But don't get mad." Linda warned.
My eyebrows furrowed. "Why would we be mad?"

Linda sighed before continuing. "I'm meeting up with Ange."
There was silence.
"We wouldn't be mad about that Linda." I reassured.
"You guys can come and join us. We were planning on going to a cafe near your house Con."

"Maybe." Kenny muttered.
"We'll see." Dwayne said.
"Even if we don't go. Have fun with her." I said, placing my hand on her shoulder before saying goodbye and leaving the school.

~

I was pacing in my room, with my friend's eyes following me as I moved around.
"Maybe we should go." Goldberg suggested.
"Are you insane?! Ange probably hates us! It's been such a long time!" Julie shrieked.

"How can you be sure? Maybe she doesn't." Dwayne said.
"Well we can't risk making her hate us even more by turning up there out of the blue." I mumbled, not making eye contact with any of them.
"Why don't we see if they're still there. We don't need to go up to them. We can stand across the street." Kenny suggested.

~

We took Kenny's idea into consideration and we did end up agreeing. We walked down the street. That's when we saw Linda and Ange in sight. They were smiling and laughing.
"There they are." Julie said.
"Should we go up to them?" Dean asked.
"No, Ange hates us. It's not a good idea." Averman said, and we all nodded.

We went back to my house and had dinner. The evening went quickly, and soon enough we found ourselves getting ready for bed. Ange, didn't seem to have changed a lot. She still looks like the same old Ange. Every time I see her nowadays I can't help but feel a sense of guilt. I never wanted our friendship to end, I never wanted to lose her.

I finished getting ready for bed. I walked back into my room. I climbed into bed and my friends and I said our goodnights. We turned all the lights off and fell asleep soon after.

~

Angelina's POV

I got home and had dinner with the others. During dinner I told them about my encounter with Banks and my talk with Linda. A look of sympathy was visible on their faces the whole time. I was grateful I could easily open up to them about these sorts of things.

~

Its was currently 11 pm. I was reading in bed, trying to get today out of my head. I soon put my book away and layed down in bed with Zeus cuddled up in my side. I kissed his head.

"I wish my life was as simple as yours Zeus." I muttered, before turning my night light off and letting myself drift of into a deep sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------
That was Chapter 13! Hope you enjoyed!
-author