Chapter 13

"Mmm," I mumbled as I crept my way to consciousness after an incredibly long nap. I could tell based on how much energy I felt inside me right now. It was great to be feeling someone myself again after all the chaos occurring in my life currently.

I opened my eyes to a soft, carmel colored pillow and above it I saw a smooth, polished bed frame of deep brown. It made me feel like I was in a princess chamber until my stretched out hand bumped a card, which I picked up to read "Hamilton Suites". What was I doing in a suite?

Supposing it was time to investigate again, I sat up and swung my legs over the side of the bed, trying to find the floor with my feet. They dangled off and the cool air of the room swooshed against my skin, leaving my body chilled. Someone must have turned the air conditioner on, seen as how it was like ninety degrees outside in the summertime. Brrrr.

"Dad?" I called out, hoping he was here somewhere. Normally I would be fine, but waking up in a room by myself after falling asleep in the car was one of the most uncomforable things imaginable. Who knows who had gotten me this time.

"Dad?!" I hollered loudly, my thoughts wandering a bit too far below my comfort level. "Dad, are you here?"

"We're in the kitchen, honey!" his deep soothing voice called back, sending a warm, relaxing feeling through my spine. Thank heavens.

"Coming!" I sang, scooting off my bed and practically jogging into the kitchen where Barry, Phil and my father were all concentrating on their laptops. What in the world?

"Guys, what are you doing?"

"Researching," Phil replied, not moving a centimeter except for talking.

"What are you researching?"

"Stuff."

"Like what?" I asked.

"We're looking for answers, Hun," Barry spoke from directly in front of me.

"Oh okay," I nodded pretending to understand them but really, I just didn't want to be a bother.

"We want to know why you and Andrew have powers, sweetheart," my dad answered, which ended up surprising me.

"Any luck?"

"Alleah, there's dinner on the table over there," Phil said. "Why don't you go eat it?"

"Um, sure, I uh....okay," I agreed, noticing how much my stomach was seeking attention after all. I could tell that he was trying to distract me though.

"We're on to something," my father responded. "We'll update you when we figure everything out, okay?"

"Sure thing, Dad," I replied, walking over to the place where lunch meats and sandwich fillings were spread out in a disorderly fashion. You could tell boys had dug in as everything was in a huge pile. The only thing that wasn't a mess was the bag of hoagie buns sitting on the other side of the sink, which had two remaining from the pack of 12. Jeez, I lived with pigs.

"You guys are gut filling hogs," I grumbled, pulling out a bun from the package and placing it on a glass plate from the cupboard.

"Hey, be grateful we saved you that much," Phil said. "Your dad stopped Barry and I from consuming the last two."

"Dad, you're the best," I grinned, sticking my tongue out at Phil. My dad sent me a warm smile and winked at me, making me laugh.

"But we managed to eat all the salt and vinegar chips," he cackled evilly.

That did it.

"You wouldn't," I snarled, freezing in the middle of loading turkey on my sandwich. Salt and vinegar chips were my most favorite chips ever. He was so dead.