Chapter 19

"Pink just does not match your skin tone," Jessica said as she twirled me around in a hot pink dress studded with rubies. I pouted; she was not making this very easy.

My father had agreed to let Jessica come to our house and hang out since he wanted nothing to do with dresses or sparkles. It was their spring break at my old school so it worked out perfectly.

"Then what should I do? The turquoise one didn't work, the pink one didn't work, the green one did not go with my green eyes, the coral color made my brown hair look disgusting. What else?"

"Orange?"

"Ew, no. Orange is close to coral and that probably looked the worst on me. I'm not blonde like you, woman."

"Yellow?"

"Too bright," I said, making a face.

"Red?"

"Too dark."

"Aqua?"

"Jess," I whined. "That's just like turquoise."

She scrolled through the computer in frustration at my pickiness, "Grey? Black? White?"

"Nope."

"Then how about this purple one?" she asked, pointing to a ball gown. It was beautiful. The skirt was extremely poofy with gathers in random places, each one having a rose shaped diamond to bring it out. The whole skirt went to the lower waist and from there up it was a simple dark purple design with sparkles accompanying the purple and it had small but sure sleeves. I sighed at its beauty.

"Seven hundred dollars!" Jess shrieked. "What crazy person would spend that much money on a prom dress?"

"I don't know but that is amazing," I grinned. "You know what I picture that as?"

"What?"

"Midnight blue," I said in a bubbly voice. "Give me a second."

I took my hand and used my energy to begin building the dress. Seeing it on the Internet gave me great plans on how to achieve the amazing look and that's exactly what I had done. Jess was glad she was close to my size so she could have whatever dress I didn't want.

"Midnight blue! That will look so gorgeous with your hair!" she gushed.

"Exactly what I was thinking," I agreed with her. "My emerald green eyes will accompany that too."

"Sweet. Gah. You're gonna look amazing! What are you going to do in your hair?"

"Probably just curl it simply," I admitted. "I don't want to go all out."

"Yeah, I think that's one reason he really likes you. You never do anything too much. It's always just right."

"Oh, shucks," I blushed. "He is crazy for liking such a strange girl like me."

"How are you strange?"

"Well, for starters, just look at my family situation. Because of it I've left Oliver at school and he misses me. I feel bad for him."

"Oh I'm sure he's just being a drama queen," she scoffed. "Well, or a king, rather."

"Yeah maybe you're right," I shrugged, not knowing how to answer. Last time I'd seen Oliver he looked like he was going to cry when he had to leave. The excitement on his face when he saw me after I'd been so brutally removed from my childhood environment was completely a dead giveaway that he missed me and I was responsible for his sadness.

She took the dress I'd finished creating and started to undo all the corsets and clasps off the back.

"You know what's weird?"