Chapter 8

"And now it is time to start the tournament! We now welcome the West Eastmen High School Cats and a team we have rarely seen here in the championships that we are pleasured to have with us, the Yalington High School Tigers!"

"Rawr," Adrianna make a tiger sound behind us, giving some girls the giggles as we went out on the court to take our places.

"Alleah Johnston, we love your freaking guts!" a group of guys hollered from the crowd. It was none other then my best friends, William and Oliver, with another group of some of my friends. I quickly waved at them and Ollie went completely nuts.

"Oliver is slightly excited to see you," Jessica hinted the obvious. I let out a chuckle.

"Only because my mom will stop bothering him now. Or he can only hope," I laughed. I didn't have to ask anyone to know that Ollie was being pestered by my adopted mother.

"You have no idea," she whispered right as the whistle went off to start the game.

The game was definitely intense and challenging, but somehow we still managed to keep a small lead on them through the first half. They were a great team indeed and Coach Taylor feared greatly for what they would do to us in the second half, especially being so close in score.

"Now I want you ladies to remember what I've tried to teach you through each season of volleyball you've ever been in. Teamwork is the key. Make sure you call the ball when you know you can hit it and make sure you keep it off the ground as best as possible. Let's show those Cats who the real champions are, alright?"

"Let's do this!" Genevieve shouted, throwing a fist in the middle as the buzzer beeped to start the second half. We all bumped fists before raising them in the air and shouting, "Go Tigers!"

Taking our places, it was our team's turn to serve first and I was up to serve. As soon as the whistle blew, I placed the volleyball in my palm and tossed it over my head before running up to it, jumping, and giving the volleyball a punch to launch it over the medium net that stood between our teams.

"Megan, get it!" a Cat hollered at her teammate, who dove for the ball and bumped it so another Cat could spike it. Adrianna was barely able to dive and save it, much to our great relief and with the help of Genevieve and Sammy, a junior on our team, we were able to make it over to the other side.

The ball kept traveling back and forth as the beloved point was still in a war. If they got it, we would be tied. If we got it, we would be even more ahead, which was exactly what we needed. We ended up getting the point, putting us four ahead and I was up to serve again.

Number 24, Alleah Smith, is up to serve again," the announcer spoke to the crowd, the fans from Yalington going completely bonkers with excitement.

I held the volleyball once more in my palm, awaiting the time to serve it, but the whistle didn't blow. Looking up, I saw people turned and looking outside of the gym with curious eyes and my father suddenly got a disturbed look on his face. I noticed him looking at Barry and Phil, who shrugged their shoulders and kept looking like the rest of the crowd.

"There seems to be a delay in the game," the announcer quickly said into the microphone. "An unusual noise is occurring and it seems to be getting closer to the building."

"It's probably just an airplane flying low," someone in the crowd groaned. "Let's just continue the game."

"That is a weird noise. Can you even hear that?" Jess asked me. I shook my head, but that's when I heard it. A high pitched squealing noise started deafening my ears and I clutched them, holding the volleyball in my hand protectively.