Chapter 7

I was forever grateful when Friday came and as soon as my alarm went off at eight in the morning, I dressed in my volleyball jersey, the only item of clothing I actually had brought from home, and quickly ran into the bathroom to make myself look stylish. I had to look like my dad was taking the best care of me because I was positive some of my friends were going to be wondering. When the job was complete, my hair was in a curly ponytail tied with a sparkling silver bow, my makeup was neat, and I smelled like I had just come out fresh from a bush of lavender.

“Alleah, are you almost ready to go?” my father called from the hallway as I grabbed my sports bag, heading toward the door with a swing to my walk.

“Yes, I’m coming, Dad,” I called back, turning the gold knob of the giant white door and opening it to reveal my dad with Barry and Phil. Phil had a huge smirk on his face and I knew we were up for trouble as soon as I spotted it.

“Morning, merry sunshine,” Phil chuckled, making Barry reach over and smack his arm playfully. “Finally out of your beauty sleep, or are we going to hear about it all the way to this volleyball match?”

“I’m feeling great, Phil,” I said, sticking my tongue out at him as we headed for the garage. “You may be hearing about how excited I am to kick the other team’s butts. By the sides, I don’t get beauty sleep. I just get regular sleep, but it’s overrated anyway.”

“Whoa,” Barry gasped. “Did I really just hear a teenage girl say that about sleep?”

“That’s because she spends all night texting boys, Barry,” Phil laughed and nudged his arm, walking into the elevator first, which was now open for us to enter. “You honestly didn’t think about that?”

“Oh, duh,” Barry smacked his forehead softly, making a loud slapping sound echo throughout the elevator.

“Hey, I don’t text boys all night, Phil,” I hit his arm with the back of my hand, surprising him and making him hold on to it, looking hurt.

“She’s just saying that,” Barry whispered to Phil and he also held is arm after I punched his arm more forcefully than I had hit Phil.

“You know, boys, I just found another reason that I’m glad Alleah is back home with us,” my dad said, smiling. The elevator finally stopped, opening its doors so we could enter the giant ten car garage in front of us.

“And what is that, Brent?” Phil asked, looking at him curiously. “What could possibly make you happy about having a little monster running around to bother us, hmmm?” That earned him another smack from me, but this time it left a red handprint by his shoulder.

“That right there is why, Phil,” my dad started to laugh and he sent me a happy wink. “Someone needs to keep you in line, and who better than a girl? Especially a sixteen year old girl.”

“That’s right, Phil,” I whispered, sticking my tongue out at him once again. “He just gave me full on permission to boss you around.”

“But Brent,” Phil whined, narrowing his eyes at me as he and Barry hopped in the back seat of the dark red mustang we were now piling into. I couldn’t help but laugh at the tone of his voice.

“What now, Phil?” my dad looked back at him with a playfully annoyed face while I did my seatbelt up in the car.

“Why are you glad about that?” he complained. “She has devil horns, but she makes it so you can see the halo.”

“Phil, please just do yourself and the rest of us a favor and shut up,” I snapped, even though everyone knew I wasn’t actually snapping seriously.