Chapter 15

Saying goodbye to my foster mother was so difficult. She had to leave for work early in the morning and I knew my father was going to come in the next few hours to get me. He was more than frantic as he continuously tried calling me over and over again while I was fast asleep in my room.

Wow, Alleah. What a kind daughter you are to not at least send him a text indicating that you weren't snatched away by the devil.

The first thing I had noticed when I picked up my glowing phone was how many missed texts and calls there were.

"17 missed calls and 27 new messages!" my phone had informed me as I examined its screen. I quickly clicked the viewing button to see who was responsible for freaking my phone out and that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks. How could I have been so stupid?

I'd speedily slid out my keyboard and my fingers chugged along the keys as I typed a message back, replying to his 24 messages. Three were from Oliver, but I really just could not have worried about Oliver right at that moment. My father was first priority.

"I'm safe, Dad. Everything is okay. I found safety with my foster mother and that's where I'm currently at. I'm so sorry I didn't text you sooner. I love you and hope to see you soon," the text read. Once I had sent it, everything was a little more relaxed.

Seconds later, a reply came. The buzz in my hand had startled me a little, but his reply was what I really needed.

"Great. We're coming to get you. Be ready. Love you, sweetheart."

The skies were bright blue as I watched a single cloud go over it. It was a beautiful sight, especially for a bored girl like me thinking about her past day. My father wouldn't be here for another couple of hours, so I let my mind wander as it so desired.

Oliver seemed to be the main topic of my thoughts. I really couldn't get my mind off of what had happened last night. It's not every day that your best friend since childhood confesses that he's in love with you. He'd caught me so off guard that it had been silent for a good two to three minutes before one of us had dared to make a noise.

"Oliver, I...," I'd hesitated, not knowing what to say.

"Alleah, I know this is new to you. Please don't freak out, okay? Whatever you decide is going to be okay with me, got it?" he'd promised, his face going red with embarrassment.

"Okay, Ollie. I understand. It's just a lot to take in, ya know?" I'd finally been able to choke out.

"It's fine. We can decide what to do with "us" later, but for now I just wanted you to know that. I hope that was okay," he had sighed, giving me a quick kiss on the forehead. "Will you promise me one thing?"

"Anything," I'd agreed. I couldn't resist my best friend.

"Talk to me more often, okay?" he'd winked and I'd grinned. Of course I would.

Thinking of this now made my hand inch toward my phone and pull it out. He'd had to go pretty quickly after our quick talking conversation, so I wasn't able to ask him questions about what was up. I was being worthless right now, so at least texting him would keep me occupied.

"Hey, Ollie," I sent, sliding my keyboard back behind the phone where it rested. This phone wasn't the best, but it certainly was better than a heap of chunk like the cell phone I'd had in junior high school. Flip phones could be the worst phones ever, at least in my opinion.

"Well hello there, gorgeous," he replied with a winky face, bringing a smile to my face. The good thing about Oliver is he loved to tease people, so winky faces were a constant thing before. Otherwise that text could have been extremely awkward.