Chapter 5

"Zzzzzzzz," buzzed my phone, making me sit up quickly in a panic and search around like a madwoman trying to find it. How dare somebody disturb my perfect sleep!

"Hello?" I yawned sleepily into the phone, not even bothering to check who it was.

"OH MY GOSH, ALLEAH! YOU'RE OKAY!!!!" Oliver's voice hollered into the phone. I flinched away harshly, yanking the phone away from my ear so I wouldn't go deaf and letting out a little yelp.

"Oliver!" I complained, putting my phone cautiously back up to my ear. "I really didn't want to go deaf at an early age!"

"Oh, sorry," he lightly chuckled, making me roll my eyes at him.

"It's also super early in the morning! And I'm kind of tired from the past few days, if you hadn't noticed," I stated.

"I knew it," he began to sound distressed. "He's raping you, isn't he? I knew this was going to happen! Alleah you have to tell me where you are so I can come rescue you! I could be like the town hero for my best friend!"

"What are you talking about, Ollie?" I asked in confusion.

"They kidnapped you, Alleah! Please tell me you remember! Please don't tell me they're giving you amnesia pills too!"

"Ollie, I'm not with a rapist," I told him as seriously as I could manage. "I'm with my father."

There was a long pause. "You don't have a father, Alleah. He's probably just saying that."

"And I have a twin brother," I continued, ignoring his last comment.

"What are you...do you even hear yourself, Alleah?" he stammered, completely and utterly shocked. "What has this man put through your head?"

"Oliver, you have to believe me. I am telling the truth," I promised, tapping my fingers on the frame of the bed in irritation.

"Do you have proof?" he asked. He was starting to sound more convinced, much to my ultimate thankfulness.

I was going to have to lie on this one just to get him to shut up. "DNA testing and everything, Ollie. And why would my father lie about me having a twin?"

"Well, um, I guess he wouldn't," he said, sounding slightly upset. "Where's your real mother?"

"She's...," I hesitated, frowning at my brother's side of the bedroom. "she's dead."

"She's dead?" he sounded surprised. "So she's the only one you haven't met because she's dead?"

"Well, it kinda depends on what you mean by meet."

"I mean like you've seen them face-to-face."

"Oh. Well if that's the case, then I've only met my father," I said.

"Then where's your twin brother?"

"That's kind of another story in itself, Oliver. Don't you have to be in school in like 20 minutes?"

"Yeah, but I just really had to hear the voice of my best friend, especially after yesterday when Jessica came to school saying all this junk about how you got kidnapped by these two men who had guns pointing at both she and you and who chased you down the block to knock you out and take you."

"I don't even think there was a gun pointing at her," I sighed. Of course she would use that to get attention.

"Why did they even take you? Why couldn't your dad have just come down here to get you himself? Why did you have to be taken away right then? I mean the least someone could've done is talked to your mom about it. She's been an emotional wreck ever since Jessica opened her big fat mouth and said that you'd been kidnapped."