Chapter 18

"How long has he been asleep?"

"Nobody knows, Phil."

"I say we poke him."

"If you want to make him hate you, be my guest."

"I just wanna play cards," Phil moaned loudly, causing Barry to flinch a little in his sleep. His snoring took a short pause before the thunder boomed once again out of his throat.

"Your funeral," I muttered, sprawling back against the couch in my father's enormous house. We'd just gotten back and Barry had slept most the trip and into the house. Phil was itching for his partner in crime while I ruthlessly teased the heck out of him.

"I'm already on my death bed," he cried, flopping down in the couch pillows. One of the pillows looked as though it might explode any second and I couldn't help but giggle.

"Text Ivory, you whiner," I suggested. "She needs to talk to her Philsbury Dough Boy."

Phil sent me a nasty glare. "Very funny."

I erupted into a fit of laughter at my nickname for him. It had just come to me and it had to be the funniest thing I'd ever called any of them.

Suddenly, Barry's booming snore cut off in the midst of my giggles and his eyes popped open. I gave Phil a horrified look; Barry was a beast when he got woken up from his naps, the type of beast you might as well wish death upon yourself before they get ahold of you.

"Now you've done it!"

"RUN!!!" I screamed, leaping over the back of the couch and making a sprint for the door. Phil was hot on my tracks as Barry's eyes ignited in flames.

"You two are so dead!!" he hollered. Oh please, heaven above, please save us before we become Barry Stew.

"Where should we go?" Phil panicked as Barry's shaking steps came closer to us. He was a speedy runner and Phil was surely dead; he didn't have advantages like I did.

"I don't know!" I hissed.

"Use your powers, genius, and get us the heck out of here before both of us become dinner!"

"Wanna hide in the cellar?"

"NOW!"

Poof.

Phil and I found ourselves in the dark cellar, a place Barry wasn't going to find us if we remained quiet. I was breathing so heavily I felt like my brain was going to pound itself through my head. Phil sat on the ground and tried to regain his breath while I bent over and rested my upper body on my knees.

"You owe me."

"Shut up," I whispered back, trying to not make much noise with my lungs squeezing for air. Thankfully Barry's senses were duller than the average human's, but you never knew just how willing he was to punish us for waking him up; his persistance often shocked me.

We sat there for a few minutes and let our lungs fill back up with oxygen rich air. I could have run a marathon and still not have been as out of breath.

That's when our luck decided to end our lives.

My cell phone ringtone bounced off the cement walls of the cellar, making both of us jump out our skins in surprise. I dug it out quickly, checking it out and silencing it while we both hoped we weren't dead meat.

"Hello?" I answered in a whisper, holding the phone close to my ear.

"Why are you whispering?"

"My life will end if I don't."

"WHAT?!"

"Calm down, Ollie," I said. "I'm kidding. I'm just hiding from my dad's employee. He's mad at me."