Chapter 3 (NEW)

"What in the world was that?" Oliver asks, rubbing my back as I try to breathe normally again. We're cuddled up on my couch at home and I feel parched after crying so hard, but I can't swallow anything right now. I keep reliving the moment in my head, the energy burst and the car as it did a 180-degree flip over the little girl. No matter how many times Oliver tells me I saved the little girl's life, I revert right back to thinking of the poor mother and her son.

While I had been sobbing my eyes out against Oliver, the officials took the woman and her son to the hospital to make sure there were no further injuries. They let the little girl go, but her mother got some serious chastising for not watching the kids while they were playing along a busy street. When it came my turn to talk, I could barely spit out what happened, just not mentioning anything about my powers stopping the car. Oliver and I told the officer that somehow the car had stopped and done a flip, but we didn't know how. They didn't believe us entirely, but they didn't bother us other than to get our contact information in case they needed a further witness. There were many news reporters wanting us to tell the story, but Oliver hushed them and helped me walk home away from the chaos.

"Ollie, you have to promise me you'll believe everything I tell you," I look him in the eyes and he wipes another tear from my cheek, nodding that he promises he'll believe me.

"I promise," he says, patting my knee gently. I fake a smile at him and sigh, resting against the back of the couch and leaning my head against his shoulder.

"You know how I was in so much pain last Friday?" I ask. "Well, it kept getting worse. When you dropped me off in my mom's car, I went to grab my backpack and as soon as I made contact, it completely melted and the pain disappeared entirely. I was too scared to do anything, but when I got home, I shut myself in my room for the weekend and tried to figure out what was the deal. Ollie, I have powers. It's like there's a source of energy in me, almost a sixth sense, and I can do many things with it. In fact, if I don't use it, I end up in pain just like I was on Friday."

"So you're telling me that you sent a shock of energy to stop the car and that's what made it do the 180?" Oliver nods his head like he understands, but I'm worried that he doesn't believe me.

"Yes. I didn't even mean to, but I put my hands out in front of me when I watched you head toward the oncoming car and next thing I knew, the car was upside down on the other side of the girl. Oliver, I don't like it. I want it to go away. I'm scared I'll hurt people just like I hurt the people in the van."

"Alleah Johnston, you saved that little girl's life because of what you did. Please, you have to stop feeling sorry for the two people in the van. If you hadn't stopped the car, both of them would have to live with the fact that they killed that little girl because there's no way she would have survived if you hadn't stopped the car. I'm pretty sure they'd rather pay a little to have their injuries and car fixed," he leans his cheek on the top of my head and sighs, almost as if he's annoyed with me.

"Sorry, I just don't want to hurt anyone," I say, pushing the cuticles down on each of my nails to help me calm down. "I also don't want anyone to find out about this power. I wasn't even going to tell you, but that's a little inevitable now."

"I'm glad you did. I knew something was different about you, but now I know. Can I ask you to do something for me?"

"Uh, yes?"

"Show me what you can do," he smiles, lifting his head from off mine so I can move around. I look at him uncomfortably, but he answers my emotion with a look of excitement, so I can't resist. I point my fingers at a flower vase on the book shelf and lift it off, bringing it over to Oliver. He watches in awe and catches in from the air when it's close enough for him to grab. I can't help but blush as he looks at me with complete amazement.