Chapter 4

My eyes fluttered open to a very dark space, the road being completely pitch black except for the headlights of the car and the lights inside. The two men were talking very quietly about something my tired mind couldn't quite make out, but I could hear the murmur of their masculine voices.

"Where are we?" I yawned sleepily, stretching my arms out away from my body, the pull of my muscles coming awake from their rest. They stopped talking and I could make out a swift change in a solid figure as my eyes adjusted to the lighting.

"Oh, hello, sleepyhead," the passenger chuckled, a hand reaching back to pat my leg.

"Hello-"

"Barry," he filled in the blank for me.

"And I'm Phil," the driver said.

"Barry and Phil," I repeated.

"Hey," they both said chummily.

"Hi," I yawned widely again, rubbing my eyes gently and pulling my phone out from where it was hidden in my bra. I figured they wouldn't mind, seen as how we were going to my so-called father's house. He certainly shouldn't care if he was truly my father and not some man holding me captive.

Sliding the phone open, I read the screen to see what was new. There was about twenty-seven texts from Jessica and about three missed phone calls. I also had several text messages from Ollie, my mom, and one or two from the rest of my many friends. Jessica must have gotten the word out that I was "kidnapped", but so quickly?

"What time is it?" I wondered, too lazy to check the time on my phone.

"It's 11:20 in the morning," Barry told me. "Why?"

"Wait, are you saying we've been gone for like 17 hours," I gasped. I must have been asleep for a long time.

"Yes, we took a super long path to avoid...something. But this is the entryway to your father's home," Phil reassured me. "We're actually underground at this very moment."

"Well, under the ocean to be exact, actually," Barry told me.

"Why?"

"Your father lives on an island and this is how he gets to it. It's hidden well because your father does a lot of important work here so he doesn't want anyone to know where he lives. This tunnel actually has a gate on it so that only he and his workers can access it," Phil explained.

"Oh," I nodded to myself. "So are you basically saying my father is some kind of genius?"

"Pretty much," Barry admitted. "He's spent all these years working on different inventions, mainly avoiding the heartbreak of losing his family, but he enjoys that kind of thing anyway."

"Family?"

"Just wait a few moments, dear. You'll find out about everything soon enough, because we're almost out of the tunnel. Once we're out, you'll be able to see your father's house and eventually you'll see your father.

"Ugh," I growled. The suspense was absolutely killing me. Trying to calm myself down, I flipped open my phone to reply to some text messages as the darkness began to fade away.

"Where are you?" and "Is Jessica's rumor true?" were only a few of the texts Ollie had sent me. I even smiled at one he sent that said, "Alleah Johnston, stop hiding from us and get your sorry butt back to school before I come and beat you up myself!"

"I'll call you later and explain everything," I texted him, sliding my phone shut as a big, bright building of a magnificent electric blue color entered my side vision.