Chapter Two

We're a bit more Sylvie focused for this chapter (OK, a lot more) just because there's more changes on the CF side of things than the 9-1-1s. More Sylverasey flashbacks, TK has a chat with his dad, the 51 gang makes a decision Buck is wary about, and the out of state crews start their trips home. Also, complete non sequitur, "The Dance" by Garth Brooks just feels like a very Sylvie Brett/Sylverasey theme.

Enjoy, folks!

***

"Hey, what floor are you on?" TK asked as he and Sylvie walked into the hotel their houses were staying at.

"6," Sylvie checked her key card. "You guys?"

"10," he answered. "Maybe I'll run into you at breakfast some time?"

"Maybe," Sylvie smiled as he held the elevator door open for her. "I can't believe we didn't realize we were at the same hotel."

"Hey, all that's been on my mind is this conference," TK shook his head. "There's probably a lot of crews I saw today that stay here, and we just keep avoiding each other."

"Well, if we see each other again, we'll have to introduce each other," Sylvie smiled.

"I'll regret letting my dad within talking distance of your lieutenant," TK deadpanned.

Sylvie giggled as the doors to her floor opened. "Kelly would thank me."

"Probably," TK agreed, holding the door open. "And Sylvie?" She turned to face him, and he smiled kindly. "Don't give up on them quite yet."

She smiled. "I'll try not to."

TK nodded. "See you soon."

Sylvie waved as the elevator doors shut, and she walked down the hall to the room she had been given. The CFD had covered everything for their trip to Santa Monica, including the hotel rooms, so she had been relieved she got her own room. After 20 hours straight with Emily, she figured the other paramedic was happy to have her own space, too. She opened the door to her room and stepped inside, taking a moment to lean against the door and let herself relax. She loved being around people, she loved being tactile, but there was something about being in a bar in a city she didn't know that made her feel on edge, even with Buck and TK there for her.

"Sylvie?"

She yelped and staggered away from the door, looking wildly around her room. "What the – ?"

"Hey," Kelly stood from where he had been sitting in the armchair in the corner, hands raised placatingly. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"And you being in my room even though I gave you the other card wasn't going to do that?" she took a deep breath, trying to calm her heart down as she placed her wallet on the drawers.

"Sorry," Kelly sighed, watching her take her jacket off. "I was worried when you didn't answer your phone."

"I didn't?" Sylvie fumbled to take hers out of her pocket, and she groaned when she saw the missed calls and texts she had. "I'm so sorry, I didn't realize I had it on silent."

"It's OK," Kelly assured her, watching her hurry about frantically, trying to reassure everyone who had texted her that she was fine. "It's just a city we don't know and we wanted to make sure nothing happened to you."

"I know," Sylvie stressed, texting a message one-handed to Joe as she fumbled with getting her earrings out. "I should've said I was going somewhere and I had people to keep an eye on me, we just had a long day at the conference and – "