Chapter Nineteen

Once again, sacrificing sleep for writing . . . I really should stop this even though I know I won't. It's too addicting.

Very Austin focused this time, everyone. It's Squad 9's first day, we get a peek at a Los Angeles group chat (Buck says it's tame), the Halsteads learn something about Matt and Kelly, and the squad has a heart to heart moment. Also, since I am not a firefighter or a paramedic, please pardon any rescue/medical inaccuracies.

Also, enjoy our favorite (Austin) Squad!

I'm so proud of the grids I made for this story

I'm so proud of the grids I made for this story. :)

***

"I have to say . . . " TK looked up from his coffee when he heard Buck's voice, and he couldn't help but smile as his partner walked into the room, fastening his watch around his wrist. "I do like the black uniform."

"I've been wearing black my entire firefighting career," TK said, sliding a mug across the counter to Buck's waiting hand. "I'm used to it. But yeah, you look better in black, not navy."

"Hey, I rocked navy!" Buck defended himself. "Black just goes with everything."

TK snickered. "Now I understand why Dad advocates for black uniforms. He wants his uniform to go with everything."

Buck blinked, then burst out laughing. "Oh, please record his reaction when you tell him that. Please, I beg you."

"What are we begging TK to do?" Sylvie's voice came from the hallway.

They turned to see her step into the kitchen, finishing tying her short hair at the back of her head. "Record Cap when TK tells him we wear black because it goes with everything," Buck didn't skip a beat.

Sylvie guffawed, smiling brightly when she looked at TK. "I want that recording."

"And you both apparently want me dead," TK rolled his eyes. "Great. We're off to a great start on our first day."

"Our first day," Buck gestured between himself and Sylvie. "You've been at this station for almost a year now."

"Still a new rig," TK shrugged. "Still – "

"Happy first day!" Owen trilled as he practically skipped into the room.

"That," TK pointed exasperatedly.

Sylvie sniggered. "You're in a good mood, Cap."

"I don't know what I'm more excited about," Owen grinned. "This crew or being on a Squad crew again."

"Yeah, good point," TK nodded, sliding Owen's preferred espresso over to him. "Really, we'd been working on getting the 252 in New York a Squad crew for the longest time before we came to Austin. This is the best gift ever."