Chapter Fifty-Eight

So . . . who would believe me when I say this is one of only two (and a half? or three?) episodes left before this book ends? Hell, I don't believe me. Almost two years of writing, and we're finally reaching the conclusion of this masterpiece. That just makes me want to finish it even more.

Eddie enters foreign territory (aka Firehouse 51) and puts his detective cap on, Joe gets an opportunity he's not too keen on, Boden has five (5) headaches and their name is the Austin 126 Squad Company, another reason for Owen's liaison olive branch is revealed, squad sticks together, and a confrontation that has been in the making for a long time has Sylvie reaching her breaking point.

Enjoy "A White-Knuckle Panic!"

***

"Gotta say," Eddie remarked as he and Sylvie strode up the apron to Firehouse 51, the male paramedic looking around appreciatively. "You left a pretty nice firehouse to go to Austin."

"Yeah, there are times when I miss this place," Sylvie smiled fondly, pausing at Ambulance 61 and running her fingers over the golden lettering that spelled out Leslie Shay's name. "But I'm happy at the 126."

"And there's our ambulance crew for the time being!" The duo looked over at the squad table to see Cruz bound up, Capp and Tony standing from their seats to meet them. "I can't believe we actually managed to get you back here," Cruz grinned.

"Well, it turns out Radford found a nice way to thank the CFD for letting us have Casey and Severide," Sylvie shrugged, hugging Cruz. "So 51 gets a squad ambulance for . . . well, I don't think we know how long we're liaising out here."

"Where did Squad 9 get assigned?" Tony peeked out onto the apron, seeing only EMS 99.

"Firehouse 20, believe it or not," Sylvie grinned.

Capp and Tony burst out laughing, making Eddie blink. "What's so funny about that?"

"Oh, Captain Strand working with Captain Delaney," Capp chortled. "I need someone to film that."

"Well, since someone left the firehouse," a familiar voice drawled, "we don't have Mikami to handle that for us."

"Oh, boo hoo," Sylvie turned on her heel and grinned innocently. "Do you complain like this all the time when I'm not here?"

"Shut up," Kelly grinned, holding out his arms. "C'mere."

Sylvie giggled and moved forward, hugging him tightly. "Hey, Kelly."

"Hey, Sylv," he rubbed her back. "Got the all-clear?"

"Rhodes and Marcel both did," Eddie confirmed. "Cap's back to work, too."

"Good to hear," Kelly grinned. "Talked to Boden, every call we get that requires an ambulance will include you two, so be ready for a busy day."

"Oh, we will be," Sylvie promised, a manic glint in her eyes. "We've been itching to get back to work for days."

"What, you haven't been enjoying the 'get to know the long-lost brother' game?" Cruz teased.

"Oh, that wasn't the problem," Sylvie rolled her eyes. "It was more Buck and TK moping about how they were stuck back on a ladder crew until the three of us got cleared."

Eddie snorted. "We fixed that pretty clearly by asking if they would have rather gotten shot, too."

"That would shut them up," Capp nodded.

"By the way, I just noticed," Cruz looked the pair up and down. "You got back in the CFD uniforms."

Sylvie and Eddie looked down at their dark grey shirts and navy pants, and Sylvie grinned. "Well, Casey and Severide got the whole Austin FD kits while they were with us. We figured we would return the favor."