Chapter Forty-Two

Can you tell I really wanted to get to this episode? XD I thought I loved the trio of Buck, TK and Sylvie . . . and then I decided Owen, Olivia, and Elliot would absolutely rule New York, and here I am getting through half of "Return of the Prodigal Son" already.

Olivia struggles to deal with a case and the return of her former partner, Matt gets his appointment, Peter is a good boyfriend, Fin might get murdered and so might Sylvie, and speaking of the paramedic, she really can't go anywhere without getting into some form of trouble or wrapping someone around her finger. Not necessarily in that order.

Enjoy "Return of the Prodigal Son" and the start of "Natural Born Firefighter!"

***

"You've seen him since he left."

Olivia's soft voice made Owen wince as they stood outside the hospital. "He came to Austin after he heard about San Angelo," he nodded. "Stayed for TK's sobriety anniversary and helped solve 99's kidnapping. Saved Sylvie's life, too, he shot the son of a bitch who was about to shoot her."

Despite her overwhelming need to find something to punch, Olivia managed a smile. "That sounds like Elliot."

"That's absolutely him," Owen chuckled, nodding in agreement. "I made him promise to tell you he had come back, or I would tell you myself. I swear, Liv, if I had known he hadn't told you he was coming, I would've done it."

"I believe you," Olivia sighed, rubbing her face. "I know you, Owen, you would've done it."

"Liv! Owen!" They turned to see Fin jog up, his business face on, badge clipped to his coat. "You two OK?" he demanded, looking them up and down.

"We followed Elliot here," Olivia nodded. "I barely talked to him. According to Sylvie and Eddie, Kathy just went into surgery." She swallowed hard, barely able to comprehend what had just occurred. One of her two best friends had reappeared without a word, and said best friend's wife was now fighting for her life. "How did this happen?" she asked. "Why?"

"Rollins and Carisi are at the scene," Fin answered. "A uni told them it was a rental car parked on the street. Kathy went to get in, and the bomb went off. Arson thinks it misfired and threw her clear."

"Now's one of the rare moments I wish I still worked for the FDNY so I could look into this myself," Owen muttered.

Olivia nodded in agreement. "A rental car?" she asked. "Where are they in from?"

"Italy, I'm guessing," Owen remarked.

Fin nodded. "That's where they've been living. Elliot had to come in for some type of a task force meeting, and he and Kathy decided to make it a trip. He just called me out of nowhere and told me he was coming. I may have spoken about your award and my intent to ask Owen to attend. I thought enough time had gone down between all of you."

Owen snorted. "I think Nancy thought I was gonna rip his head off when he showed up at the 126."

Fin blinked. "He showed up at the 126?" he repeated. "When was that?"

"He didn't mention that?" Owen asked in surprise.

"Who's he working for?" Olivia cut in. "A task force?"

"He's back with NYPD, Liv," Owen told her. "Last I heard, he's the international liaison in Rome, has been since about 2017."

"2017?!" Olivia gawked.

"I just found out when he visited Austin," Owen held up his hands defensively. "I'm sure he can tell you more."

The doors to the hospital opened, and they turned to see Elliot walk outside with Sylvie, the paramedic whispering to him. "Fin," Elliot looked relieved to see him.