Chapter Twenty-Six

Well, it's not a monster like the last few chapters have been, but 8.2K is still nothing to sneeze at. Not too bad for someone who got burn-out after deciding to publish a Sylverasey collection.

The firehouses arrive back at the 126, Carlos compares dumbasses with Eddie, Matt, and Kelly, and a few more out-of-staters join the party in Austin.

Enjoy the filler before the next episode! Also, please check out the bottom of the chapter for a question that needs answering!

***

Buck had never been on a completely silent rig before. Even back in Los Angeles, there was always someone on the rig to keep everything from being dead silent.

On the three- and half-hour ride back to Austin, Squad 9 was as quiet as a tomb. Buck caught Marjan constantly looking from the road to him to the road to the rearview mirror at the trio in the back then back to the road. He, too, looked in the rearview to see Owen asleep on TK's shoulder, and TK's head was on his dad's. Michelle's phone was on her lap, most likely set with a timer to wake Owen up to check his concussion. A look out the side window showed Squad 3, predictably, was right behind them. The next two rigs he could see were the two from the 126, but he knew the rest of the rigs from 51, the 118, and Carlos's patrol car were bringing up the rest of the procession. They didn't stop at all during the ride back to Austin; everyone wanted San Angelo as far behind them as they could get.

A chirp from his phone made Buck look at the incoming text he received.

Eddie: We need to keep an eye on Casey and Severide when we get to Austin.

Eddie: Make that the rest of Squad 3, too.

Eddie: I'm 99% confident they're plotting how to get away with De Leon's murder.

Buck couldn't help but smirk.

Buck: Do they need an alibi?

Eddie: Cruz already volunteered.

Buck: Fine.

Buck: I'll supply shovels to bury the body.

Eddie: Who says with Severide's arsonist knowledge, they wouldn't burn the body?

Buck: . . .

Buck: You didn't actually say that in front of him, did you?

Buck: Severide would do that in a heartbeat for Sylvie.

Eddie: I'm not a dumbass like you, Buck.

Buck covered his mouth to stop himself from laughing, but he did smile when the familiar shape of Firehouse 126 appeared on the street.

Buck: Wrong, Eddie.

Buck: I'm a Dumbasser.

Buck: Or a Dumbassest.

Eddie: I hate you so much right now.

Buck finally burst out laughing as Marjan backed the rig into the station. "What brought that up after all that silence?" Owen mumbled.

"Eddie hates me," Buck chuckled, swinging the door open and jumping down. "Nothing new there, though."