Chapter Four

Sylvie is best friends with two idiots, Buck continues to ask questions, the 126 teases the little brother of the family, the chat reaches new chaotic heights, and the dispatcher besties have a discussion.

Enjoy!

***

The bells rang through Firehouse 51, and Sylvie groaned in annoyance. She felt the bunk shift, then Kelly's arm wrapped around her waist, the exact grounding she needed. "It's not for us," he muttered, voice heavy with sleep.

"Nope," Matt agreed from his desk. "It's for Engine."

"Stupid bells," Sylvie huffed, attempting to scoot closer to Kelly before freezing, not sure if he would be comfortable with her moving closer.

Kelly, however, rubbed his thumb comfortingly along her back. "What, do you think I'm gonna bite?" he asked jokingly.

Sylvie blushed, but the encouragement was all she needed to press herself closer. "Thanks," she whispered.

"Whatever makes you comfortable," Kelly assured her.

Matt snorted. "And like he's gonna complain about being that close to you."

Kelly groaned in annoyance. "Shut up, Case!"

"Make me!" the truck captain grinned at him.

"Don't tempt me!"

Sylvie fidgeted, then reached over to Matt's nightstand, finding the first item she felt (why was a pen randomly on his nightstand?) and throwing it blindly in Matt's general direction. A thump and a yelp signaled she accurately hit her target. "Shut up, Matt."

"Yeah," Matt cleared his throat. "Shutting up."

Kelly snickered loudly. "Oh, man, now I want you to move in if you can get him to be quiet that easily."

"Will this work on him, too?" Matt wondered.

Sylvie propped herself up on her elbow, squinting through the dark to glare at Matt. "If you shut up, I'll try later when he annoys me."

Matt held up his hands, one holding the offending pen, in defeat. "Yes, ma'am."

Kelly snorted, and Sylvie glared down at him. "Stop while you're ahead, Sev."

"Yes, ma'am," he parroted Matt.

Sylvie groaned, flopping back on the bunk. "Why am I friends with you two?" she wondered.

"No idea," Kelly answered, his arm automatically settling back around her. "But we're lucky bastards to have you as one."

Sylvie blushed harder, hiding her face in his chest. "Shut up," she whined.

Matt snickered. "Go to sleep, you two."

"Yes, sir," both chorused at the same time.

***

"How many firefighters do you guys know outside of the LAFD?"

The sudden question from Buck made all activity in the loft stop. "Uh," Chimney held out for a long time.

"Do we know or do we keep in contact with?" Bobby asked the question from where he was finishing making a cup of coffee.

Buck tilted his head. "Both," he decided.

"Well, there was my house before I moved to L.A.," Bobby took his mug and walked over to the lounge. "But considering how I left, I've barely been in contact with them since."