Chapter Thirty-Three

Eddie starts at the 126, the Strands get unexpected news, Nancy isn't happy with Tommy's choices, Owen and TK are my favorite family duo in TV and you cannot convince me otherwise, all poor Gallo's done is worry, and a captain and three lieutenants walk into a burned-down laundromat.

Enjoy the first parts of "Everyone and Their Brother" and "One Crazy Shift!"

***

Tommy looked up when there was a knock on the door, and she smiled, walking over as she finished fastening her watch around her wrist. She opened the door, and she grinned at the duo on the other side. "Good morning, boys!"

"Good morning, Captain Vega!" Christopher chimed.

"Oh, you can call me Tommy, Christopher," she laughed, opening the door wide enough for Christopher to enter with his crutches. "Your dad's the one who has to call me Captain."

"Yes, ma'am," Eddie chuckled, following Christopher into the house.

"And look at that!" Charles turned away from the stove, looking Eddie up and down. "Not even in the station yet, and you look like you belong. Welcome to the family, Eddie!"

"Thank you, Charles," Eddie smiled, already feeling at home in the black uniform of the Austin 126. "Still getting used to wearing the EMS patch, but it'll be fine by the end of shift."

"I felt the same way when I got back in the uniform," Tommy patted his shoulder.

"And I owe you for this, Charles," Eddie turned to the man gratefully. "Thank you for watching Christopher."

"Oh, it's a pleasure, son," Charles waved his gratitude off. "I literally have nothing else to do aside from getting the girls ready. At least the semester's over, you timed that perfectly."

"Yeah, that worked out better than I thought it would," Eddie admitted. "Still . . . we just moved here, and you barely know us."

"You're 126 now, Eddie," Charles folded his arms, somehow looking intimidating in a flour-dusted apron and a batter-covered spatula in his hand. "That makes you family. We Vegas look out for our family."

Eddie sighed, knowing he wasn't going to win this argument. "Thank you."

Charles smiled. "You're welcome."

"Is that Eddie and Christopher?" Evie's voice echoed from upstairs.

"Girls, come say goodbye before your mama leaves!" Charles called.

The twins tumbled down the stairs and popped up with smiles. "Have a good shift, Mama!" Isabella bounded over, hugging Tommy tightly.

"We'll miss you!" Evie hugged her on the other side.

Tommy laughed, hugging her girls. "I'll miss you, too, mi niñas. Have fun with Christopher and your dad, OK?"

"We will!" the girls chorused.

"Hope you have a good day, mijo," Eddie smiled at Christopher, setting the boy's backpack on the ground.

"I will, Dad," his son smiled. "I like the twins."

"Oh, what about me?" Charles pouted.

"Dad makes awesome pancakes," Isabella giggled.

Christopher grinned. "I'll have a good day with him, too."

"Oh, thank God," Charles exaggerated relief.

Tommy laughed. "Now, keep out of trouble, y'all."

"No promises!" the three children smiled.