Epilogue

At the end of the line, the family in Austin has a lot to celebrate, and Owen has a lot to be thankful for.

Enjoy one last look at our favorite firefam before their next adventure!

***

Months ago, Owen's home had hosted a similar gathering to welcome Buck and Sylvie to the Austin 126. While a celebration at heart, moments of sorrow clung to the evening. He knew that had been when Sylvie had sent the heartbreaking voicemails to Matt and Kelly, knew that his newest recruits had gone through harsh times before arriving at his firehouse.

None of that sorrow was present as laughter and excitement thrummed both inside and outside the house. Buttercup bounded around three squealing kids, Christopher and the Vegas never seen without a smile. Maddie's happiness radiated as Nancy spun her in a dance, and Owen had honestly lost count of how many they shared. He expected one or the other would have to sit at some point or lose their heels. Even Tommy had a constant smile on her face as she spoke with Matt, her eagerness to learn what made her new captain and partner tick overriding any gloom that loomed over her at the fact this was their first party in Austin without Charles.

Owen watched the celebration from his kitchen as he gathered more drinks, smiling happily as he watched his family rejoice. His first, and most important, rule in his firehouse was that no one would ever be left behind, and that was true even out of the field. While everyone formed their own little clusters, from the kids to Buck and Eddie to Carlos and Grace proudly sharing some of their collaborations on calls, everyone always found a way at some point to drag others into their conversation. If there was one thing he would miss when he became Deputy Chief, it would be seeing this camaraderie at the 126 on a daily basis.

Then again, he thought as he gathered the next bottle of tequila and rosé, that's my main goal for the entire department.

Footsteps padded into the kitchen, and Owen looked up to see TK enter with the ice bucket. "Hey, Dad," TK smiled.

"Hey, son," Owen nodded. "Everything going well outside?"

"Everything is perfect," TK beamed. "Seriously, there's nothing out there I would change."

Owen watched Sylvie spin from Kelly's arms into Matt's, saw Buck playfully tackle Eddie as the paramedic laughed loudly, observed Maddie wrap her arms around Nancy's neck as Nancy cradled her face in her hands, and he couldn't help but chuckle. "I didn't realize I'd be starting a matchmaking service on the side."

"Maybe that should be your gig," TK nodded in mock seriousness as he joined his father. "You and Sylvie, actually. She worked miracles to get Buck and Eddie together."

Owen snorted. "That should be in my list of tips for officers looking to hire for their house: go for the firefighters and paramedics that are in love with someone already working for you."

TK snickered. "Well, we have a 100% success rate with that strategy so far!" Owen grinned widely as he watched the celebrating group. "In all honesty, Dad," TK nudged him before leaning on the counter next to him. "You've done amazing with everyone here. I don't know how you do it."

"I'm not sure how I did it, either," Owen admitted. "I'm gonna miss it."

"You won't have to, Dad," TK shook his head. "We're all gonna be family no matter where you go . . . or how high you go." Owen looked at TK in surprise, and he smiled. "You complain about how the brass is full of white shirts who don't remember what it's like to be a firefighter, or they were never a firefighter to begin with. With this post, you've got the opportunity to change that, and make this department better. You're gonna reach the top, Dad. I know it."