Chapter Thirty-One

The jinx comes to an end (Sylvie's upset), Matt takes a bit of a tumble, Eddie gets an offer, family comes to visit Chicago, Owen's the best adoptive father ever, and a few new faces appear. I've started thinking Supergirl's "Reign" theme is a good one for Matt, Kelly, and Sylvie as well.

Enjoy the end of "Jinx" and the entirety of "Double Red!"

***

"So . . . " Sylvie's voice trailed off as she walked up to Athena, who was listening to the store worker gesture wildly. "Gas leak?"

"I just did what he told me!" the worker exclaimed. "He said he was the fire chief!"

"He give you a name?" Athena asked.

He huffed. "He sounded very official."

Athena blinked. "Did you even ask any questions?"

"All clear!" Bobby announced as he and Lena walked out of the diner, taking off their masks. "However, the gas is gonna remain shut down until further investigation."

"I'm gonna get canned!" the worker whined. "20 years of customer service up in smoke! Or gas!"

"Actually, there wasn't any of either, Jim," Lena shook her head.

The worker protested loudly. "It's Larry!"

"Maybe he should have a Jim here anyway," Sylvie eyed the name of the diner.

Athena shook her head, looking at Bobby. "Caller said he was a fire chief."

Bobby blinked. "Someone else pretending to be LAFD?"

Athena's eyes narrowed. "What do you mean, someone else?"

Sylvie, meanwhile, stood on tiptoe to look around at the pedestrians. She frowned, noticing one dark-haired man watching what occurred with interest . . . someone who matched Eddie's description. "Bobby," she pointed.

Bobby nodded. "Maybe the same someone," he agreed, starting towards the man. "Hey!" he called.

The man took off running, and Sylvie was about to sprint after him when Lena beat her to it. "I got him!" she yelled, disappearing around the corner.

Sylvie blinked. "Wow, she's fast."

"And good," Bobby nodded.

They rounded the corner just in time to hear the rumble of an engine starting, and Sylvie paused. "Wait a minute . . . isn't that – ?!"

Bobby started running, Sylvie and Athena behind him. They got to the sidewalk just in time to see the 118 engine roar down the street, Lena stumbling away to avoid getting run over. "Oh, uh-uh!" Athena growled, running for her car. "Not on my watch!"

Bobby shook his head in disbelief, turning his radio on. "Dispatch this is Captain Nash, 118," he said. "Our engine just got hijacked!"

Sylvie bent over, hands on her knees, panting heavily as she tried to catch her breath. "That's new," she wheezed.

Eddie looked back from watching the rig go, and Chimney and Hen walked out of the burger joint, bags of food in their hands. They watched the police cars whiz down the street, then Chimney turned to look at the captains. "OK, what'd we miss?" he asked, his mouth full of burger.

"We're still jinxed!" Lena hollered from where she slumped against a mailbox.

***

Spice: Did I miss a memo about a full moon or something?

Spice: I've been reporting a lot of crazy shit today