Chapter Fifty-Five

First off, thank you to everyone for the well-wishes about my parents! My dad is in the clear, but my mom is still testing positive. She's feeling better, though she's totally done with COVID. I certainly am, too.

Second of all, I'm blown away by the response to last chapter. I guess shooting two characters brings everyone out of the woodworks, huh? I wish I could've gotten this out sooner, but I'd say over three-quarters of this chapter is original content, which takes a hell of a lot longer to write. There's optimism at the end of it, though, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

It takes a while to get there, though. Everyone scrambles to get Eddie and Sylvie to safety, the Chicago Med crew gets to work, LAPD learns another department is calling dibs, I take several creative liberties when it comes to medical practices that most certainly are anything but correct, and in the process of healing Sylvie, Will makes a discovery no one was ever expecting.

Enjoy the first part of "Survivors!"

***

"Paramedics of the Austin 126 have been shot!"

Olivia reeled from the announcement, then a growl similar to a bear's came from her throat. "New York 1-6 Unit, converge on Regal Pointe Apartments, now!" she ordered.

"1-6 Ocean responding!" Kat's voice was the first to answer.

"1-6 David with 1-6 Nora responding!" came Fin's voice afterwards.

Olivia hurried down the steps of the courthouse, hearing the footsteps that signaled Peter and Nolan on her heels. "Dispatch, can you give me an Immediate Flash?" she asked.

"All units, stay off the zone," Grace's shaky voice answered. "New York 1-6 Unit, go with your Flash."

"All New York units closest to Regal Pointe Apartments, respond to 50-21 and the Austin 126," Olivia relayed, wrenching open the door to her sedan. "All other units on the way, clear the roads to Cedars-Sinai. Inform the doctors of two paramedics inbound. I want Organized Crime on the scene of Regal Pointe Apartments as soon as the area is clear."

"Copy, New York 1-6 Unit," Ayanna's voice responded. "Organized Crime inbound."

"New York 1-6 Unit, this is 50-21 Eddie." Olivia recognized Kim's voice immediately. "Requesting the rest of Chicago 50-21 be among those clearing the roads."

"Request accepted, 50-21 Eddie," Olivia confirmed. "

"All units, police, and fire RA, clear channel two." Maddie sounded near in tears as Olivia flipped the lights and sirens on, not waiting to hear the click of Peter and Nolan's seatbelts as she sped onto the street, the wail of additional sirens following her. "Switch to Tac Channel 50. Paramedics have been shot. Await instructions to clear the roads for swift transport from Regal Pointe Apartments to Cedars-Sinai."

***

"Shots fired! Shots fired! Paramedics are shot!"

Jay could still hear Mehta's voice as his ears rang with the sound of gunshots. He and Hank both had their guns drawn, peering around the edge of their sedan to check on the firefighters. His keen eyes caught sight of Sonny as the SVU detective inched towards where the paramedics were lying limp on the ground.

Another bullet screamed past Jay, and he jumped when the nearby battalion vehicle burst into flames. He watched Mehta and a few firefighters flee for shelter behind another rig, and suspicion crept into Jay's mind. He carefully inched out more into the open, aware of Hank's hand on his arm to try and stop him.