Chapter Thirty-Four

A captain and three lieutenants continue their investigation (Grainger's fuse is shorter than usual), Pelham decides he should float in District 4 more often (I agree), Squad 9 is in a constant state of heart attack, Sylvie pulls rank for the first time, Tommy makes a decision, Matt has two bombshells dropped on him at Molly's, and it's good news all around for the 126 Squad company.

Enjoy!

***

Tommy was all smiles when Ladder and EMS 126 returned from an overturned vehicle. "Ooo, that's a happy look," Sylvie folded her arms. "I take it the Eagle Scout had a good first flight?"

"More like a perfect first flight," Tommy grinned. "The driver was delivering floral arrangements for a wedding and became hyperoxic from cyanide poisoning."

"Cyanide poisoning?" Eddie parroted, blinking in surprise. "Where did she get cyanide poisoning from?"

"The flower arrangements," Tommy smirked. "Did you know if, when cut, cherry laurel sprigs release trace amounts of cyanide gas?"

Sylvie tilted her head, impressed. "I did not."

"Sounds like you found yourself a keeper, then?" Eddie asked.

"I think so," Tommy grinned, walking to restock the ambulance.

The squad paramedics watched her leave, and Eddie sighed. "Poor Nancy."

"If she's that sold on him, I don't know what more I can do," Sylvie whispered.

"There might not be anything," Eddie admitted. "Guess when she comes back, she'll have a new partner."

***

Matt didn't know Jason Pelham very well, but considering Greg Grainger, of all of them, looked like he had a much shorter fuse than usual, this could all go south very quickly.

"You got no right to do this!" the delivery man they were trying to stop shouted, storming up to his truck. "I don't get these orders out, that's my ass on the line!"

He reached up to close the truck, but Pelham was quicker, reaching up and stopping him from shutting the truck. "Well, guess it's your ass, then," he smiled like a shark. "This truck ain't going anywhere."

The man fumed, turning as a blonde woman walked out of the building. "Ms. Heimark!" he called. "Hey, these guys just came barging in here, telling me I can't make my run!"

"What is this, another surprise inspection?" she frowned, looking from officer to officer.

"We're not with Fire Prevention, ma'am," Matt shook his head. "We're from Firehouse 51 and 40."

"Well," Heimark said slowly, looking around exaggeratedly. "I don't see anything on fire, so why are you telling my drivers what they can and can't do?"

"You in charge here, ma'am?" Kelly asked.

"I am," she nodded. "Marcy Heimark."

"Well, Marcy," Kelly gestured to the detergent piled in the truck. "Your detergent is starting fires at laundromats all over town."

"At least eleven that we're aware of," Grainger added.

Heimark blinked slowly. "What?" she asked, clearly not believing them.

"It clings to clothes and ignites inside of commercial dryers," Kelly nodded.

"Hang on," Heimark scoffed. "Dryers are a very common fire hazard, as I'm sure you're aware, especially in winter."