Nerve Wracked

Damian's POV:

I look over Cora while she nervously bounces her foot up and down. She's looking out the window, her amber eyes are flicking around the passing city.

I set my hand gently on top of hers, she slows her leg bouncing to a stop and looks at me instead of the scenery. I give her a hopefully reassuring smile.

"It's going to be okay, Beloved. You're going to do great. It's the first day, so the work will be easy and it's easier to meet people." I try. She sighs and leans her head on my shoulder.

"I hope your right. But if you can't find me, I'm probably throwing up in the bathroom." She says drearily. I kiss her on the head.

"Okay, well people will probably want to get to know you. So maybe there will be someone to hold your hair back." I tease. She scoffs out a laugh.

"Why would they want to get to know me?" She asks. I knew I forgot something.

"You're arriving with me. You are dating and living with me. I am essentially a celebrity. As much as I hate the attention." I say as casually as possible.

"I'm actually going to die. My mom has sent me to my grave." She says dramatically. I offer her a small laugh.

"You'll be fine, Cora. Some people won't even care. And I'm still going to be here for you as often as possible." I assure. She groans.

"Of course they'll care. You're you, and well, I'm me." She whines. I'm not going to let her get away with that.

"Smart, capable, beautiful, funny, caring you," I say, I wrap my arm around her shoulders.

"Says you, you're dating me. Compliments are kinda part of that deal." She says, I scoff.

"Well if I'm dating you then there must be some truth to my words, right? I don't typically give out compliments easily." I state. She ponders my words for a minute.

"You have a point." She admits. I can't help the victorious smile I now wear. I feel the limo glide to a stop. Let the fun begin.

The school entrance is on my side of the car, I see Cora look at it warily. I regretfully unwrap my arm from her shoulders and click off my seat belt. I watch as she does the same. She takes a deep breath and then nods firmly.

I open the door and step out as gracefully as I can. I can already see people staring but I pay them no mind as I help Cora out of the car. I don't release her hand and I can already hear the whispers.

"Our first class is English in room 204. Ready?" I ask. She nods with a deep breath again.

"Let's do this." She answers quietly. I lead her through the halls, walking slowly enough that she can take in her surroundings.

We reach classroom 204 and I'm unhappy to see that there is a seating arrangement for this class. I lead Cora to her seat before finding mine. There's no one else in here but us so I stand at her desk.

"Dami, I don't know if I can do this." I hear her whisper. It's an empty classroom but I suppose she's still nervous.

"I'm still right here, Beloved. You'll do great." I try to assure. She takes another deep breath and nods. I can see her hands shaking. I hold one in my own hand. I can still feel her hand shaking but she seems to calm down just a little more.

A few students find their seats and pull out their phones. Cora is keeping a level head now, but I know she's still very nervous. She offers me a smile.

"You can go sit down now, I'll be okay." She says. I reluctantly nod and release her hand. I make my way over to my seat but I continue to look at her. She eventually pulls out her phone and starts typing.