Partner

Dick's POV:

I toss my keys on my desk. The drive back to Bludhaven was exhausting and I only got a few hours of sleep after I got back.

I'm surprised at the amount of paperwork sitting neatly on my desk. It looks like it's just a centimeter thick, that's not a lot for taking a week off. I notice a still steaming cup of coffee sitting beside the stack as well.

"Grayson, glad to have you back." My lieutenant says behind me. When I turn to look I see he has his own cup of coffee in his hand.

"Happy to be here. Sorry for leaving so abruptly, again." I say, rubbing the back of my neck. He huffs.

"You're just lucky someone covered for you. In fact, you're getting a new partner." He says with a mustached grin. He reminds me of Commissioner Gordon but mean. 

"Partner? You know I prefer to work on my own." I say quizzically. He chuckles.

"She's already pulling her weight, and yours. You don't have a choice, detective." He says walking away. I rub a hand over my face.

My last partner quit after working with me, and the one before that transferred within the week. At least this partner isn't a slacker. I definitely didn't make a good first impression and we haven't even met.

I'm lost in thought as I walk to the kitchen area to get some decaf. Just as I'm walking past, a cabinet door gets slammed into my face. My eyes water and I falter back in shock for a second. I hold my face with a groan. This day just keeps getting better.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying attention!" A small voice says. I blink away the blur of my eyes to see a woman with reddish-brown hair. The only way I can describe this girl is tiny

"No problem kid. I wasn't watching paying attention either." I try to assure with a smile. She laughs lightly.

"Not a kid. I'm Detective Bates. Nice to meet you, um, kind of." She says sheepishly. She extends her hand, which I take. I've completely recovered by now.

"Nice to meet you, Detective Bates. I'm Detective Grayson." I say with a small laugh of my own.

"Oh gosh, well this is embarrassing." She says, even her voice sounds small.

"Nah, it's fine. I'm used to getting hit on the job." I say casually. I start reaching for a mug from the now open cabinet.

"Well, it's not the best first impression." She mutters. 

"I've made worse. Apparently, I left my new partner with a boatload of work and we haven't even met yet. Did you need one?" I ask, motioning to the mug in my hand.

"No thank you, and it wasn't that much work." She says timidly. I raise an eyebrow at her, why would she know how much work I le- Oh Shit!

"Oh, my gods. You must be my new partner then?" I ask, feeling embarrassment creep up my neck. My brothers would have a field day with this one.

"Yep! How was your trip, by the way?" She asks, changing the subject. I like her already.

"I had some family matters to deal with, so it was less a trip and more of a nightmare," I say with a laugh.

"Do you not get along with your family?" She asks, leaning on the counter as I make my coffee.

"I love all of them to bits, but they certainly don't do my blood pressure any favors," I say offhandedly.

"Ha! I've got 2 sisters, I understand the struggle." She says with a bright smile. 

"3 brothers, 2 sisters, and a sister-in-law, if you can call her that," I say with a tired smile. Bates raises her hands in surrender.