Permission

Cora pov:

"Well, that wasn't very appropriate."

I yank my hands away from Dami and my head whips to the door. I blink in surprise to see my parents at the doorway. Why are they here?! I usually go to visit them, not the other way around.

"Uh, hi?" I say lamely. My mom breaks into a smile but my dad is still scowling.

"Hey, honey. How are you feeling?" My mom asks. Damian moves out of the chair so she can sit next to me.

"Surprised, a little embarrassed, confused," I say and she laughs lightly.

"Well, if you're embarrassed to do something in front of us then maybe you shouldn't do it?" She teases. I feel my face flush with heat. This is mortifying.

"Or, you're my parents, and anything you say or do can be embarrassing. Like that comment." I say while giving my mom a meaningful look.

"Hey, don't look at me. That was your dad." She says, putting her hands up in surrender. I sigh deeply.

"Anyways, why are you guys here? Not that I'm complaining, much." I add. My father breaks his staring contest with Damian.

"Cora, you're kidding, right? You were KIDNAPPED and we only find out TODAY?" He says, both worried and angry. Oh, yay, more reminders.

"I was resting for most of the time I've been back, and I didn't have my phone until like 10 minutes ago. I thought they had already called you?" I ask. A quick glance between their faces shows a considerable amount of guilt.

"We had our phones on silent and we were in Italy. We answered the latest call less than an hour ago." My dad admits. Oh, there it is.

"Well, I'm fine now. You didn't have to come over, I could have visited when I felt up to it." I say gently and with a smile. Damian shoots me an accusing look which I brush off.

"We're here now. So tell me how you actually feel, Cora." My mom says, placing her hand on my leg.

"Sore, maybe a little thirsty? You would think the IV would help with that more." I say, more to myself than to her.

"That would be your body recovery from major blood loss and recurring dehydration, Mrs. Sanchez." I hear Alfred speak before I see him.

"That makes sense," I say casually. My dad freezes and my mom pales.

"Cora, sweetheart, honey, dear, what does he mean by MAJOR BLOOD LOSS and RECURRING DEHYDRATION?" My mom says in a honey-sweet voice that cracks into anger.

"Uuuummmmm." I stall. "I got, hurt, and then I cried, just a little bit," I say, trying my best to downplay this. My mom stands quickly, rage on her face, before her eyes roll back and she starts careening to the floor. Damian catches her quickly because he was closer than my dad.

He easily picks her up and lays her on the cot beside mine. Alfred makes his way over to her as Dami makes his way over to me. He picks up my empty cup and offers me a kind smile. It's much smaller than usual, which is saying something.

"I'll go get you some more water. While I'm gone, I would explain as much as you can about the past couple of days," he says quietly. I nod in resignation. My dad glares at him on the way out but Damian doesn't flinch or return it.

"I don't like him." My dad says when he thinks Dami is out of earshot. He's probably not, but I can hope.

"You have no reason to not like him, dad. He's been nothing but a perfect gentleman and he treats me with the utmost respect and care." I state firmly. My dad grumbles as he sits in the chair my mom recently vacated.