Sister In Law

Cora pov:

I frown at my reflection. My hair is a disaster and I'm getting very frustrated. A knock resounds at my door.

"Come in!" I shout, trying to undo the knotted mess on the side of my head.

"Hey Cora, Dick's gonna be here soon..." Jason trails off. I turn to look at him.

"I'm not ready yet," I state blandly. 

"I can see that, you want some help?" He asks with a chuckle. I huff.

"Yes please," I admit. 

He works quickly, undoing the 'hairstyle' I had and brushing out the tangles gently. He expertly works my hair into an elegant bun with a few strands framing my face. I look really good actually.

"Wow. Where did you learn to do this?" I question, looking at myself in the mirror.

"I learned how to do it because Steph and Barbra kept complaining about their hair during galas. I just wanted them to shut up but I still remember how." He says casually.

"Thanks, Jasey. I love it." I say happily. He smiles at me.

"No problem, squirt." He says with a small side hug as we look in the mirror. The doorbell rings through the house.

"They're here!" I shout excitedly. I race out of the room, almost running into Dami as I do.

"Someone's excited." He says with a smirk. I'm not even going to correct him.

"You bet I am! Richy's bringing his new partner! I can't wait to meet her!" I say excitedly. Damian gives me one of his rare genuine grins.

"I'm sure she'll love you, I do." He flirts. 

"I love you too. Now let's go meet them!" I say, switching right back to being excited.

I run down the stairs, thankfully without tripping. I hear Damian's footsteps behind mine. I glance back at him every few seconds, just to make sure he's not too far behind. I hear voices in the echoing foyer.

"There they are." I hear Dick before I see him. He's standing next to a small woman with brown hair, or is it red? She has a kind face with sharp features.

"Heather, meet Cora and Damian." Richy introduces. I extend my hand with a wide smile.

"Hi. Nice to meet you." I say, much calmer than I was. Heather takes my hand with a smile.

"Nice to meet you too." She looks behind me and I see her smile shrink just a little. "You must be Damian." She says, pulling her hand back to her.

"You must be Bates." I hear Dami say. His tone isn't inherently happy, more suspicious actually.

"That I am." She says confidently. I stand beside Dami and take in his posture. His arms are crossed and his head is held high with his shoulder back. Richy doesn't seem worried about this, so I won't worry either.

"Anyways, where's Tim?" Richy asks. 

"I think he's still in his room," I report. Dami doesn't say anything.

"Okay, so that's 2, where's your 3rd brother?" Heather asks. I look to Richy.

"Uh, he's not around anymore. I guess I forgot to not add him to the roster." He says with a weak laugh.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Was this a recent thing?" She asks worriedly.

"Nah, it happened a long while ago. I was the only one around back then so I guess I remember him more." Richy explains quickly. Nice save.