We Can Do This

Damian:

I blink open my eyes. That isn't my ceiling. 

Looking down at the weight on my chest I realize it's Cora's ceiling. Otherwise, someone moved the both of us. She's completely asleep, peaceful, and oblivious to the world.

I remember how I got here. I woke up at 1 in the morning to Cora screaming my name. I have never been more thankful that my room is beside hers. I'm still worried about Cora and her initial reaction to seeing me.

I glance over at the dagger that has been discarded by the door. Perhaps that was it? But her instinct wasn't that I was there to protect her. In her dream, I apparently called her worthless, or something similar. 

Dreams are supposed to help our brains process information and thoughts. Does that mean she doesn't believe she's worth everything to me? Am I not trying hard enough to prove it to her? I don't know how much more I can do to show her. 

She did say that she could believe it, just not right then. That reminds me of her speech with Charlotte when she told her about moving.

Perhaps it will take time, as I said. She mentioned that it took scientific evidence to prove that I do genuinely want her in my life. I suppose reminders and small gestures will have to work for now, but I will be doing my best to show her at every opportunity.

My thoughts are stopped short when I sense someone at the doorway. I turn my head only to find Drake with the biggest grin on his face. 

He pulls out his phone and I glare at him. I shake my head softly so I don't wake up Cora. He nods rapidly. I hate my siblings, but he just takes the cake.

"Drake don't you dare." I threaten in the quietest voice I can manage. He grins wider.

"Ah ah ah, if you move you'll wake her up. You're trapped demon spawn." He taunts.

"I will murder you in your sleep," I growl lightly. 

"But you'd have to let her go first, and we both know you're too soft to do that." He says and I hear his camera go off a few times. 

"I am not soft. I am still technically an assassin, Drake. I could kill you and hide the body where no one will find it." I state with narrowed eyes. He chuckles.

"Aww, but what would Cora think?" He leers. I have no argument for that one actually.

"Who says she'd know?" I question, gaining back my usual confidence with a smirk.

"Oh please, I'm her favorite brother beside you. She'd know." He says confidently. I roll my eyes.

"I think she may like Grayson more." I tease. He scoffs and snaps more pictures.

"I don't care how similar they are, I'm her favorite." He states. I roll my eyes.

"No comment." Cora mumbles. Her face is scrunching up and her eyes are blinking blearily.

"Good morning, Beloved," I say gently. She smiles up at me.

"It is now." She states. She's obviously still tired.

"Well, that's sweet. Disgustingly sweet." Drake comments. I roll my eyes.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Cora asks, turning her head to look at him. I still can't move.

"I had the best night of my life last night, thank you for asking." He says happily. This is going to be torture.

"Timmy, I don't need to hear about that. Gross." Cora says.