Finally Safe

Cora Sanchez is many things.

Smart, capable, a talented fighter, a loving partner, a caring friend.

Abandoned, isolated, a victim, a former captive, and most of all, scared.

She is all of these things, all at once.

So it is no surprise when she handles the gun for the first time. Her hands are steady despite the weight, her eyes are sharp despite the tears she's shed.

She takes aim and hits her target with accuracy, the can making a deep tinny thunk.

The feeling is different from landing a hit against an opponent, or laughing in the face of fear.

This is certain. This is calculated. This is the feeling of complete control and understanding.

Cora grins as she looks at the fallen can, a hole indented into the perfect center. She switches on the safety as she turns to her older brother.

"Well, look at that kid. You did great!" He praises.

"I wasn't sure I could actually hit the center, but I did it!" Cora shouts with glee.

"You're a natural." Jason commends. "Go again."

Each time that clang rings out, Cora feels something spread through her chest. It isn't pride, although that's there too.

No, this feeling is comforting, assuredly so. It's something she didn't realize she has been missing.

Whether she's alone in her room, with nothing but her tormenting thoughts, or out with the people she loves, laughing and having a good time. That feeling is never fully there. Not like this.

The weight of the gun metal in her hands. The control she holds. The backing of her family, watching silently from behind her.

It's now that she realizes exactly what has been missing for so many months. Something she didn't realize was even gone.

Cora Sanchez finally feels Safe.