Jokes On You

Damian's POV:

I pace the docks eagerly as the sun sets. I watch the duffel bag full of cash as I march.

I know none of my siblings are happy, and neither is my father. Todd had to stay behind due to him being legally dead. Grayson is solemn and Drake has been obsessively checking the time. Father stands by the police officer that has been overseeing this kidnapping.

My mind replays that word over and over and over until I can actually hear it. Kidnapping. That's what this was. Cora has been kidnapped.

I was supposed to protect her. She was supposed to stay with me. Sure it worked out now, maybe, but this can't happen again. Harley and Ivy can be satiated with money and an allowance to 'help' that I'm still suspicious of. Someone else may not be. This is Gotham.

I hear a car rumble in the distance. It's a red sports car with no plates on it. I see 3 figures. 2 adults, 1 child. I hear some shrieks come from the car as it goes over some bumps and becomes slightly airborne. They skid to a stop in front of us.

Harley steps out first and Ivy turns to Cora. Already I'm trying to see if she's okay. It's not hard to hide a bruised rib. Ivy steps out and retrieves Cora from the back seat. I see her hands are still bound.

"Hiya Brucie! We brought the kid! Ya got my money?" Harley says obnoxiously. We're all standing at attention now.

"It's all in the bag. You know I'm good for it. Hand her over first." Father says calmly. The sooner she's back with us the better.

"Ha! I've kidnapped enough of ya brats to know ya keep ya word. But she's new, and she's not yours. Money first." Harley demands. I feel tense, ready to attack. I don't like this.

"Let her speak. I want to know she's safe." He says instead. I watch anxiously as Cora steps forward easily. She looks me dead in the eyes.

"I'm okay. I'm safe. You can give them the money." She says calmly. How is she so calm about this?! I look her over to see if she's lying. They may have threatened her. Her hands are shaking but she seems otherwise okay.

"Very well, it's yours." I hear my Father say. He tosses the bag closer to them. I step forward, ready to pull Cora close and tight.

"I think not!" Says a voice to my right. I see smoke and gas start creeping around and polluting the air. My arm is immediately around my nose and mouth. I run towards where I last saw Cora, but when I move through the smoke, she's not there.

"Damia-mmm!" I hear her shriek. I run towards her voice. I see the smoke start to clear but she's not there anymore. She vanished.

I feel rage boil in me. She was right in front of me! We were so CLOSE! I should have moved QUICKER! I SHOULDN'T HAVE LET HER GET TAKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE! SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO STAY WITH ME!

I yell out in rage. I don't think I comprehended what happened next. One minute I was cursing my very existence and now I'm in the cave with maps and data sheets spread out of the table.

I pour over each sheet, trying to identify who was where and when. There are only 4 convicts still at large. Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, The Riddler, and The Joker. We know it wasn't Harley or Ivy. I look between the two sheets.

I hope it's Riddler. I'm hoping against hope that I heard the voice wrong in my panic. I'm hoping it wasn't Joker toxin that almost filled our lungs. I'm not an entirely religious person, having met a demigod myself, but I'm praying.

"-I want you to call in Spoiler and Batgirl. Tim, contact the Young Justice League. Damian, call the Titans. I'll see who is available at the league." I hear my Father order. I pull out my phone easily and call a familiar contact.