Broken

Damian's POV:

I look over her pale form. Her tan olive skin is now more of a caucasian skin tone. I watch her chest rise and face intently, I watch her facial expression as well. The peaceful look I'm used to is replaced with a tired emptiness.

We should have moved her to her stomach, so the weight would be off of her back. She'll probably want more water when she wakes up. She might get worried if she wakes up to see I left, even if it would be to get something for her. I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Shift change. Take a shower, I'll watch her." Todd says. I'm reluctant to leave her, but I really do need a shower, and maybe a nap. 

"I'll come back soon. P.A me if she wakes up," I state, referring to the P.A system that runs through the house. It's a big house, too big to yell if you need something.

"Can do, Tater Tot." He says. He has ceased calling me short, but he still refers to me as small.

I walk up the stairs, I'm practically dragging myself along the hallways. I cast a look at the door with the bookmark around the handle. I shake my head and wander into my room, then my bathroom.

I barely feel the water running over my head. I look at my scars, they're more prominent under the hot water. Would her wounds leave scars like mine? I let out a bitter chuckle, she would wear them better than I do. She would be gorgeous even if they covered her head to toe.

I feel more awake as I step out of the scalding rain, the air around me is cold in comparison. I quickly towel off and get dressed in civilian clothing. Without the physical armor of my suit, I feel bare, exposed, vulnerable

The shirt we found her in was tattered and soaked in blood. I sink onto my bed. How can I even face her? How dare I feel sad or angry when she lies beaten on a cot? How could she smile at me like that? Without anger or disgust.

I failed her. I know what she said but I still failed. I was supposed to stay with her, but I got distracted by watercolors and canvases. I glare at the pile of paint and canvas that already rests on my desk. I already had both and yet I went to look for more when I should have been looking at her.

I march over to the piles, picking up both easily. I throw them onto my balcony and slam the door. I draw the blinds. If they fall they fall, if they get ruined so be it. They can't compare to what I just lost. I know she's back, but she's not okay. I don't know when, or if, she ever will be.

I stride quickly down to the cave, leaving the elevator before the doors are fully open. I almost jump down the steps, I walk quickly, practically running until I see her through the glass of the door. It's then that I pause.

Maybe she won't want me there when she wakes up again. Maybe I should bring her something. That way she knows I was there, but she doesn't have to actually see me. 

Water, she'll need that. Her favorite Pajamas. Bandages and blankets can only cover so much. I can bring her favorite tea the way she likes it, and in a thermos so it's still warm when she wakes up.

How long will she be in the infirmary? Is it safe to move her to her own room? I should bring her pillow too, she prefers it to the softer ones we have. I smile to myself, she's odd like that. Her pillow is lumpy and probably a year or two old, the pillowcase is yellow and sunbleached on one side. 

I nod to myself setting out to collect everything. I start in her room. I take a deep breath before stepping into it. 

It looks the same as it did two days ago. I went to tie her tie for her in the morning like I've done every day for the past week. Was that really only two days ago? Will I have to go to school tomorrow without her? I want to stay close, to make sure she's safe.