Boyle's Hunch Part 2

"Hey, where'd she go?" you asked Charles.

"You guys were hitting it off. I half expected to see you sitting in her lap by now" said Jake.

"She is amazing. Her palate is wide and deep" Charles said.

"Gross" Jake said.

"And at one point when she wasn't looking, I snuck a whiff of her hair" said Charles.

"Of course you did" you said awkwardly.

"She uses one of my top three shampoos: Tahitian Coconut, extra lather" said Charles.

"Never heard of it" you said.

"Sounds good, Boyle. Did you get her number?" asked Jake.

"Oh, we lost track of time. She had to go back into court. When she's done, I'm gonna ask her out" Charles said.

"Oh, okay, okay. So what's the plan?" Jake asked, smiling.

"Going straight from here to the spa. Couples massage" said Charles.

"Okay, seems a little intense, but given how your other weirdness lined up, I say go for it" said Jake as the courtroom door opened. "Oh, here she comes."

"How do I look?" asked Charles frantically.

"You look great. I've got a good feeling about this" you said.

Genevieve walked out of the courtroom.

"Genevieve, I know we just met, and I don't want to be too forward..." said Charles.

"Charles" Jake said.

"But sometimes you just get a feeling about a person..." continued Charles.

"Charles" said Jake.

"And I've got that feeling about you. I like you..." said Charles.

"Charles, look down" called Jake.

"I think tonight, we... Oh, shoot" Charles said, looking down to see the handcuffs on Genevieve's wrists.

"They just gave me ten years in prison" said Genevieve, and was led away by the guards.

"She didn't say no!" Jake said optimistically.

-----------------------

Jake walked over to y/n and Charles' desk and sat down. "Hey, buddy. Got you some of those fish donuts you like so much to cheer you up. Although, full disclosure, I couldn't find where they sold them, so that's just a chocolate éclair with lox on it."

"Oh, thanks, Jake, but I don't need cheering up. You can eat it yourself" said Charles.

"Nope" said Jake, taking the bag off the desk and and dropping it in the trash can. "So what, you're not upset about falling hard for a lady who was immediately thrown in jail?"

"No, because she's not actually guilty. They say she robbed her own art gallery for the insurance money, but that makes no sense. She would have made more if the art had sold. This piece, 'Breastfeeding Knight' was worth twice what she got from the insurance company " Charles said.

"Wow, look at that. Not to sound overly intellectual, but dem knight boobies is crazy" Jake said. He laughed. "I get art."

"Also, I talked to Genevieve's lawyer. He's a total disaster" said Charles.

"I have a couple questions about a beautiful client of yours, Genevieve Mirren-Carter" said Charles.

"She got hit by a tow truck and sued the driver?" asked the lawyer.

"No, she was accused of insurance fraud" Charles said.

"Oh, good, because I blew that tow truck case. Straight up forgot to go to court" the lawyer said.

"Wow, he sounds really stupid" you said.

"Well, they found one of the stolen paintings at her house. But she said she didn't know how it ended up there. She's being set up" said Charles.

"Framed! Art joke. Continue" Jake said.

"My hunch is that it's a jealous ex-lover. A girl like that, three dogs, makes her own turkey stock, that's the kind of woman you don't get over. Look, I know both of you think my judgment's clouded because I like her a little bit..." Charles said.

"You doodled your wedding invitation. And spent at least ten minutes on it as well" you said, holding up the notepad with the invitation on.

"No, that's our joint tombstone" said Charles.

"My mistake" you said.

"But as a cop, I really don't think that she did it. Something is off about the case" Charles said.

"Okay, Boyle. I trust your gut. Let's go free an innocent woman" said Jake.

"Yes! My dreams are coming true. Us three getting my lady off together" said Charles, and stood up.

"I mean, you know how that sounds, right?" asked Jake.