Karen Peralta Part 1

Jake walked into the bullpen, carrying something. "Gather around, glorious turd monsters, and feast your eyes on what I hold in this hand: The future of movement - A hoverboard."

"I don't understand those things. Is walking really so hard for you?" said Amy as Jake put the hoverboard on the ground.

"Oh, Amy, walking's a nightmare" said Jake.

"Yeah, Amy" agreed Hitchcock.

"Now, friends, eat my space dust" said Jake, placing one foot on the hoverboard.

He put his other foot on the hoverboard and immediately began to move. Wobbling, Jake moved towards Terry's desk and crashed.

"Okay, a little harder to control than I thought" said Jake. He pushed off Terry's desk. "Okay, there we go. Whoo! Think I'm getting the hang of it. No, I'm not!" 

Jake fell backwards off the hoverboard. Everyone gasped, apart from Rosa, who laughed.

Jake raced into a filing cabinet and crashed. "I'm all right."

Next, he crashed onto the table where Hitchcock was eating some food.

"No!" yelled Jake, using the wall to try and stay upright. "Ow!"

---------------

Jake was proudly standing on the hoverboard. "I'm doing it!"

Everyone clapped.

"I'm doing it!"

"You got this?" Terry asked, holding his hands around Jake's waist.

"No, I have not got this, Terry! Don't let go of me!" Jake said. "The future of movement is now!"

Jake walked into the bullpen and Charles stood up to greet him

"There he is. All hail the birthday boy" said Charles.

The party popper Charles was holding banged, causing the detectives to grab their guns.

"Oh, what the hell was that?" asked Terry.

"Charles, probably shouldn't have done that in a police station" said Jake awkwardly.

"And not celebrate your birthday properly?" Charles asked. "I'd rather get shot."

"You do you, Boyle" Jake said, going to sit down.

"I'm doing me" Charles said, sitting down.

Jake walked over to y/n, looking at some files y/n was holding. "What's this case?"

"Oh, it's not a case. It's just some stuff about your mom that Amy got for me because I told her that I was nervous about meeting your mom" said y/n.

"Just relax. She's gonna love you" said Jake. "You're both strong and accomplished people that have seen me naked."

"I don't think that we should mention that" y/n said.

"You're right. Here are some topics we should probably avoid: How my dad left us and ruined our lives, how my dad got remarried twice and ruined our lives, how my dad moved to Canada and ruined our lives..." Jake said.

"You know what? Let's just not talk about your dad" y/n said.

"Smart. You're gonna be fine, all right? She's gonna totally love you" said Jake.

-----------------------

Y/n and Jake walked up the steps to Karen Peralta's front door.

"You ready?" asked Jake.

"Yeah" said y/n.

"Seriously, you're gonna be fine. We're just gonna have some dinner, eat dessert, play charades and then talk for half an hour about which of her friends are sick" said Jake.

"We're gonna play charades?" asked y/n as Jake knocked on the door.

The door opened to reveal Karen Peralta smiling at them and an alarm beeping somewhere in the house.

"Hi, birthday boy" said Karen, hugging Jake.

"Hi" said Jake. "Mom, is something on fire?"

"Yeah" Karen said.

"Okay" Jake said.

"You must be y/n. Let me take you in" Karen said, holding y/n's hand and pulling her into the house.

"This is a lovely ornament" said y/n, looking at the decoration on the front door.

"Mom, seriously, the fire?" asked Jake.

"It's fine. Things don't burn down like they used to" said Karen. 

"I'm just gonna put it out" Jake said, walking towards the fire.

---------------------

"Well, you know, it's good enough for Diane Keaton. It's good enough for me" said Karen, holding her red wine with ice.

"I love her. I mean, she's no Jane Seymour. Where is Jane Seymour now, anyway?" asked y/n.

"She makes jewelry and it's beautiful. I just bought two brooches for the lesbians across the street" said Karen.

"Mom, I keep telling you, if you don't rein it in a little bit, you're gonna scare them off" Jake said.

"Well, that's what you said about Carla, and I ignored it, and now I have a friend with one arm" Karen said.

"I stand corrected" Jake said as the doorbell rang.

"Oh, must be your birthday surprise" Karen said, standing up.

"You got the '86 Mets?" asked Jake excitedly. "Be warned, a lot of them turned out to be drug addicts, so this could be a bummer."

Karen stood up and walked over to the front door. "You ready?"

Karen opened the door to reveal Roger Peralta holding a blue 'Happy Birthday' balloon. "Hey, buddy."

Y/n and Jake both stopped smiling and stared in shock.

"Happy birthday" said Roger, walking into the house.

"Dad? What are you doing here?" asked Jake.

"I wanted to surprise you" said Roger, passing Jake the balloon.

"Yeah, well, I am surprised that you know it's my birthday" said Jake.

"Actually, Jake... Your father and I are, uh, seeing each other again" Karen said.

"Oh! Wow, that's - That's so interesting" Jake said.

Jake grabbed a pair of scissors and popped the balloon before walking to his room.

"Oh..." said y/n.