living a thousand lives for you

In which Fate and Coincidence search for one another three times: What Once Was, What Is, and What Could Be

or, basically the weird god/soulmate au nobody asked for with a lot of historical inaccuracy we don't talk about

fluff/bittersweet I guess?? there's some light angst but it's,, eehhh jdmdmfnfhjd

warnings: vague mentions of alcohol (though no usage of it), vague major character death (ITS NOT ANGSTY I SWEAR DONT WORRY), mentions of guns/weapons, mentions of blood (god this sounds like angst, it's not I promise, plea)

Enjoy!<3 

The first time they meet, there is no Reality. Not yet. Reality is born later, with his boyish features and blonde hair aflame with sunlight, his bright songs of wind and sea.

All that exists is Patience, with his keen eyes and wings of universe, waiting. Waiting for nothingness to collide into something. He is careful, green robes flowing from skin like waterfalls— Waterfalls that will not come to be for a long, long time.

The collision is abrupt. Nothing becomes something, like moonlight becomes sunlight and cold becomes warmth.

Fate and Coincidence are here, say the whispers of Patience's birds, chanting and crowing all the way (here, here, here!), and just like that, nothing explodes before his eyes.

It's colourful. Hues of blues and yellows are lit aflame for Coincidence, who swirls like water and wind and everything smooth, refreshing and cool. His cries are like song, joyous and clasped around his colours like nothing that Patience has ever seen before.

But still, he waits.

Fate, of course, comes just after, bundled in tones of greens and golds. He is more of what would be known as chaos, beautiful and bright. He crashes like storm, like thunder, and it's incredible. He whoops and laughs and it sounds bright, bright and perfect. 

Just like that, they are forever bound, one in the same but torn by their differences.

Fate and Coincidence meet that day, intertwined as moonlight is with starlight, as sunlight is with the sky. They dance beneath nothingness, beneath truths and lies, where their only song is the echo of their laughter.

It feels, with Patience and Fate and Coincidence, alone in a world of loneliness, that everything is beautiful.

Borne from their clasped fingertips is Reality, who cries out in glee at his newfound existence. He creates worlds— Favouring one in particular, where trees sprout from the ground where he walks and water flows when he pulls it.

Earth, Reality calls it, all cocky grins and bright red and white hues.

Fate laughs, staring in awe at the creation.

Well done, he compliments with his golden voice, hand still clasped with Coincidence's like he'll never let go.

His partner just scoffs. The name is lame. He'd huffed in a flurry of blue and yellow. Reality glared in return, red flaring to gold and back as Fate murmurs something soft to calm Coincidence.

Coincidence, of course, does not reply, for his pride rises much too high. Yet there's a subtle wave of lighter blue that overcomes him as Fate leans closer.

Light is carried by Fate's hands, and Hurt by Coincidence's, and Reality's Earth continues to swell with life. They mix somewhere in the middle, though, with fire's burn and hurt's healing.