Chance

There's a lot of worlds out there: millions of planets and millions of stars, millions of galaxies and solar systems, and millions of planets that could potentially harbor life.

You see, the universe is built on chance - a chance that a planet might be formed, a chance that it's orbiting a star at just the right distance from a star to have stable temperatures and plenty of minerals and light and an abundance of water.

There's such a minute chance that those materials will combine and mutate, over millions of years, into oceans and soil and atmosphere and forests and ecosystems full of living, breathing life.

If, if that life is born, it evolves, growing and aging and thriving and withering and dying - getting sick, having offspring, and fulfilling its duty as it changes to suit the environment that hopefully contains just the right stuff to keep it alive... and it becomes intelligent.

So on this singular planet,

In this singular solar system,

In this singular galaxy,

On this singular patch of dirt,

The universe took a chance.

It rolled the dice, and two of those creatures - those productions of life, formed from stardust and the ashes of burnt planets - known as human beings bumped into each other, in a building made of rock full of hundreds of other humans, and I

met

you.

You may be a speck of dust, clinging to the edge of a tiny rock hurtling through the winds of outer space at thousands of miles per hour - but you're not nothing, you're impossible.

You are a figure, a number, a digit in a chance, an equation, a calculation that should hardly exist - because the chance of you being born was so nearly none...

And yet here you are,

Reading this story about yourself,

Being strong and smart and stubborn.

And you are so much more

Than dust.