Drawl

(Inspired by this post: https://pin.it/4MoxRep )

“Well now, that just won’t do, will it?” the farmer drawls with a tut.

I clutch the brim of my hat to my chest and rock back on my heels. “Cleanin’ and cookin’ I can do a lil’, sir, but I’d like to consider myself not too shabby with workin’ in the fields.”

“Oh you would, wouldja?” he chuckles, swinging his hoe up over his shoulder. “What’re ye wantin’ in return, hm?”

“Nothin’ more than hot soup and a place to rest my head, sir, even if it’s just a pile of hay ‘n’ a blanket in this heat.”

The farmer brought the hoe back down to the dirt and leaned on it as he inspected me up and down from where he stood. Seemingly satisfied, he straightened back up, grinned, and rapped on the house window right beside where he stood. It reluctantly opened, complaining as it did so, and a blond head popped out.

“What’re you knockin’ about?” it asked, good-naturedly.

“Sonny, this here fella’s tellin’ me he ain’t got nowhere to stay, an’ he’s willin’ to help you out ‘round the farm for a meal and a bed. Let’s see how he fares spending the week with you an’ the cows, an’ we’ll talk somethin’ a lil more permanent,” he says this last part with a pointed glance at me and a twinkle in his eye.

I bow my head real low, then replace my hat and step forward to shake the man’s hand real firm. Grinning wide, I move back and glance up at the head still poking out the window, accidentally locking eyes. The boy’s ‘round my age, perhaps a lil older, with a loose blond tail at the back of his skull. His skin is pale, but freckled and pink by the sun, and his thoughtful brown eyes meet my own green ones.

Then he speaks, nearly makin’ me jump a mile up. “Well that’s alright with me if that’s alright with you, stranger.”

“I - I’ve no objections!"