🟨 Fae

I've got long, thin limbs, and a gangly body. My ribs are very visible, and stick out more than they should. My hair is short, wispy, and wiry. My bloodshot eyes dart around in my head, eyeing the shadows with mistrust. My thin hands twitch, scratching my upper arms nervously and leaving now permanent red marks. My mouth is dry, my skin is papery,and my bones are glass.

At least, during the day.

At night, I don't fall asleep. I hunch in my window, eyes squeezed shut, waiting for the moonlight to hit my face. Rags and blankets hang from my shoulders, feeble shelter from the wind. Then, I'm whisked away, as if pulled into a tornado, spinning around and around and around. I'm taken without noise; the night slumbers undisturbed.

I'm taken to the kingdom of Fae.

They carry me, all tall and graceful and mischievous, to a bed of leaves. There I lay, until I awaken, transformed. During my slumber, my hair has grown thick and full. My hands and eyes became steady and calm, and my rashes faded into pale scars on my skin. Though I'm still thin, taught and lean muscles sculpt my tall body. My ears point slightly, and seem to turn towards any unexpected sound.

Here, I am a king, and a warrior.

The Fae glow and flicker, and grin with slitted eyes as if they know all of my secrets, which they do. But they kneel, even if in mockery, and heed my words. One hands me my bow, another my quiver, and yet another my armor. They ready me for battle, and follow my lead. I take them out of the moss-covered castle, and through the grounds, under the timeless sky. I take them to the dark forest, full of shifting and unnatural creatures. We pass the border, and spot our enemy.