Deaf

You stand at the counter, waiting for your order. The smell of French fries fills your sinuses, and your mouth begins to water. Your fingers tap on your thigh, and your head jerks to the side slightly, once, twice.

Deep breaths. In, out. Focus on the scents.

Remember the basics. Your name, your birthday, where you are, what you're doing, where you were last. You slowly go through the list, though short, and breath a sigh of relief once you've finished it.

Your fingers tap again, but more relaxed. A glance up and into the kitchens shows a woman in an apron, holding a small, white paper bag. She smiles, and beckons at you kindly. Your foot taps once before you make your way closer to the counter, and twice more once you do.

She sets the bag down and picks up a pen and paper, quickly jotting something down. Finished, she holds it up to you.

'Thank you for buying from xxxxxxx. Enjoy your fries, and come back soon! :)'

You falteringly smile and duck your head at her, gently taking the white bag from the counter. With a slightly trembling hand, you leave a five dollar bill in the tip jar. You already paid, so you turn to leave, but a thin man appears in your way.

You jolt, clutching your bag, before bowing your head in apology. Looking back up, you see his mouth moving, talking fast and ceaselessly. You wince and point to your ears before hiding your nervous twitches by shaking your head:

Deaf.