019. to call a friend (4)

a/n: BGM for this chapter, above ( since it kinda blends well with the mood.
and, tbh, for the whole duration of writing this book, this is what i listen to )
buckle up cuz we're finally tackling a bit of ham haru's past—or rather, your past.

 and, tbh, for the whole duration of writing this book, this is what i listen to ) buckle up cuz we're finally tackling a bit of ham haru's past—or rather, your past

"If we're together, maybe nothing will change. "

"If you're around us, maybe we won't disappear."

Those were the lines uttered by a single fellow, but who knew the impact of it could affect a great lot? It even made you all huddle up inside Eun Ji-ho's house after Ham Dan-i came back with Woo Ju-in from their walk. It was good you had finished dinner by then.

But you never tire. Well, you couldn't.

You stood your ground, hearing the same things over and over again though they weren't directed at you.

The friendly bickering of 100 ssams, Yoo Chunyoung's stubbornness to stay with the gang in Eun Ji-ho's house to prevent your 'sister' from being isolated by the novel world, and Ham Dan-i's confession regarding her supernatural predicament after a year old's hiding.

How long has it been already? About the hundredth time? Or maybe even the millionth. Whatever the sum, you had given up counting past fifty.

Yes, it was the truth. You were, by no mistake, trapped in a never ending rewind in this world. Residing in a webtoon/novel you've encountered during your second year in Highschool──Inso's Law.

In the original Inso's Law, the story began when the main protagonist 'Ham Dan-i' suddenly emerges from her slumber in a webnovel world on her first day in middle school and was forced to befriend 'Ban Yeoryeong' and the 'Four Heavenly Kings.' Whilst obsessed with trying to live normally, she ends up cultivating her relationship with the five otherworldly beauties significantly through the years instead. And after waging war with the billows of the cliché angsty fate, she ends up with the male lead in the pretext of sacrificing her friendship with the others.

But now things changed with you in the equation.

You don't remember much of the past and the specific details about it, only fragments of a distant memory; the fact that you were once a regular aged sixteen L/N Y/N with F/C hair and blue eyes, and that you somehow wounded up in this place as the non-existent twin 'Ham Haru' of the female lead 'Ham Dan-i.'

No, it wasn't reincarnation that wounded you here, considering you had no recollection of your death.

Perhaps it was your wish and of the majority that made this fictional reality into being. Disappointed by the author's written ending even though it held many alternatives, maybe hoping the protagonist for the better shifted things worse for you instead as you now bore the burden of ensuring Ham Dan-i's happily ever after. A place where no one, no memories, and no loved ones were sacrificed in exchanged for the greater good of the plot.