Chapter 7 - Bad Day

The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end as Aaron failed to think of a logical explanation for the footage. He had been wide awake when that thing crawled out and hovered over him, yet he didn't recall seeing anything.

"Hey!" Elijah slapped his arm, snapping Aaron out of his frightening thoughts. "Do you mind if I take the SD card real quick? This is exactly the kind of footage I need!"

"Er...Sure, just a minute." He pressed the fast forward button again, waiting to see if the rest of the footage was blacked out too. Then, around 1 AM it returned to normal, and shortly after that, he saw himself return to the room and lie down.

He estimated this happened right after the banging on the front door, but didn't think he'd been talking with Caleb for an entire hour. At least, it didn't feel like it...

"Huh, that's weird." Elijah noticed the timestamp and tilted his head. "Do you think there's something special about that hour?"

"No idea."

Whatever this thing was, it had already gotten into the house. His solution would be to do like some of his other housemates had done and stay with his family for a while. Unfortunately, that wasn't an easy option for him.

"Are you gonna sleep in that bed again? I'd understand if you don't wanna do this anymore. I mean, whatever it is, it seems to be drawn to you for some reason."

He shrugged and Elijah shook his head.

Aaron agreed it wasn't a logical decision. Yet at the same time, he was able to see Caleb while that shadow thing was in the room with him.

Maybe it was Caleb's ghost?

It didn't make sense for the guy to take the form of a shadow all of a sudden, but the idea calmed his nerves as he took out the SD card and handed it to Elijah for processing.

He went about the rest of the day the same way he usually did. Writing scripts, updating his fans, and editing some bonus footage from his older videos.

Things didn't go as smoothly as they usually did unfortunately. About an hour into editing, his entire computer locked up and blue screened. After that, he couldn't get it to come back on. He could still use his phone to record little skits, but there would be a delay in his usual upload schedule until his laptop was repaired.

Frustrated, he stormed downstairs, intent on stress eating a box of cheese-its when he tripped near the foot of the stairs and almost hit the floor.

Catching himself on the railing, he took a calming breath and made his way towards the kitchen where Justin was quietly sitting at the bar eating a bowl of cereal for lunch.

He gave the man a polite nod as he proceeded to pull out his snack stash, then moved to sit in the living room when the box slipped from his hand. Cursing under his breath, he snatched the box off the ground a little too quickly and hit the back of his head on the corner edge of the counter when he stood back up.

"FUCK!" Aaron dropped the box once more as pain blossomed across his skull.

Justin leaped out of his chair. "Are you okay?"

"No, I'm fucking not!" Aaron snapped, having had a pretty bad day so far. Then he felt instant regret but struggled to show it as he endured the searing pain. After a moment, he was able to calm down enough to notice his hand was wet and pulled it away to find it covered in blood.

His eyes grew wide when he noticed a growing puddle at his feet as the crimson liquid trickled down his cheek and off his chin. Justin quickly grabbed a roll of paper towels and held it out. Aaron went to reach for it but was struck by a sudden dizzy spell.