Chapter 32 - Things Just Got Stranger

Aaron dropped the bone and crawled away from the hole, horrified. He'd had his suspicions, but that didn't make it any less gruesome.

As he steeled his nerves so he could stand over the remains, he noticed that Todd was staring down in total shock.

"We have to call the cops." Aaron declared slowly, knowing that the ghost would freak out any second now.

Todd gasped, then stumbled backward a few steps before shaking his head. "That's not... What I think it is...Is it?"

"Yeah, man. It is. And people need to know..."

The brunette's face shifted from shock to sadness as he glanced back down at the unknown body. A few ragged breaths later, he agreed.

Aaron pulled out his phone and quickly dialed the police. After a few rings, he heard it click, followed by 'We're sorry. The number you have dialed has been disconnected. Please check the number and try again.'

Confused, he double-checked to make sure he had properly hit 911. Then he tried again, only to receive the same message. Did he forget to add minutes to his phone? No, 911 should work even if you don't have a service plan.

"He wouldn't do this. I know he wouldn't..." Todd started mumbling, backing away towards the house. "He's a good guy. I've known him my whole life. There's...No way he could..." Then he looked back up at Aaron, utter despair on his face. "Could he?"

"Who?" Aaron asked, following after the terrified man. "Who did this? Do you remember?"

Tears ran down Todd's face as he took a shaky breath, then bolted for the house.

Aaron hurried after him, desperate for answers now that he knew Todd had recalled something. However, as soon as he crossed the threshold the door slammed shut behind him. Startled, he tested the doorknob to find it was locked.

What new hell did he unlock now?

He didn't spend too much time questioning it and instead turned to follow Todd, because he insisted on getting answers this time, but when he entered the living room the front door began banging loudly.

They both flinched at the violent blows which rattled the door. Aaron stepped back, getting far away from the evil entity that he knew resided on the other side.

Todd somehow was still there looking terrified.

"I'm sorry..." Todd mumbled, then raised his voice. "I'm sorry! It wasn't what it looked like! Please, just calm down already!" He screamed at the door, then pulled out his phone, only to find it dead. His eyes flicked up as a crack started spreading down the middle of the frame.

"Todd, do you know who is it?" Aaron asked.

"Please...You're overreacting..." The man continued as though Aaron wasn't there. "I didn't know how you felt. I just wanted to make some new friends. I needed to socialize. You didn't have to chase them all away!" Todd's voice grew louder, then suddenly he stormed forward and flew open the door to reveal Terrance. His eyes were blacked out and his body had a dark aura surrounding it. The world behind him was a deep, dark swirling vortex of shadow.

Aaron went to check the time and found that it was exactly noon.

"I'm allowed to make new friends!" Todd suddenly yelled as Terrence's hulking figure lunged forwards, knocking the broomstick man over and crawling on top of him while the door slammed itself shut.

Aaron instinctively ran up to kick Terrance in the face, only for it to go right through the possessed man. As usual, he was just a shadow, but unlike before, Terrance turned his head and acknowledged him.