Chapter 36 - Where Are You?

A gust of cool wind blew Aaron's hair, tickling his cheek as he turned his head, finding himself lying face down in a pile of dirt.

Blinking away the bright light, he slowly raised himself off the ground and took in his surroundings. He noticed he was in a lot of some kind, with only one or two patches of grass along a green tarped fence.

Confusion hit him hard as he spun around, trying to figure out how he got here and where 'here' was. The sun was shining down on him, and he could hear cars passing nearby. To his left and right were brick buildings with a few curtained windows and broken gutters.

Wherever he was, he was glad it was outside, because that meant he was no longer trapped inside the house. But then, how did he get here in the first place?

Heading towards the sound of cars, he clumsily climbed over the fencing and landed on the paved sidewalk out front. It only took him one glance to recognize the bench across the street.

Wide-eyed, he turned around and realized that he'd woken up exactly where he'd fainted, only this time the townhouse was gone!

Patting his pockets desperately, he pulled out his dead phone and sighed in frustration. He had no idea where his other things were, which meant he was down a laptop, props, and all his clothes. Probably lost to the void. Literally.

Since he at least had his wallet, he made his way towards the local mart to buy a charger, then started wandering the town, searching for a place he could plug it in before a cop car pulled up beside him.

He stopped and watched the window roll down. An officer in the passenger seat poked his head out and squinted at him.

"Aaron Lewis?" The officer asked.

"Yeah?"

The guy's eyebrows raised and he turned to the driver. "It's him!"

"Holy shit." The driver leaned over to get a better look. "Do you know how many people are looking for you?"

Aaron shook his head mechanically, and what followed was a ride to the station and an interrogation. This was where he'd learned that his parents reported him missing after they were unable to contact him. He had never questioned their lack of calls during his ordeal. He'd just assumed they wanted nothing to do with him after he ran off. As it turned out, messing with his phone was yet another part of the entity's scheme. 

A chill ran up his spine when he realized it had fully isolated him at a remote location. Just like a serial killer would have done...

He was still in the interrogation room, speaking with the detective who had been looking into his case for the past month. She sported a short black pixie cut and wore a sleek green and white suit. On the table in front of her was a notepad and paper as she scribbled things down throughout their conversation. 

Aaron was given a cheeseburger, drink, and fries when he'd complained of hunger. The officers would tell him things like 'You're safe now' and 'Everything's alright kid', doing their best to make him comfortable, though it felt embarrassing that he was being treated like a child.  

"The station here would never have treated your case so urgently if it wasn't for Mr. Calvin."

He choked on his french-fries. "Calvin?"

"That's right. Do you know him?" 

Aaron shook his head, pretending he'd never heard the name before. She noted Aaron's reaction and jotted something down. "Well, it's an interesting story. Mr. Calvin used to own one of the townhouses around here. After he sold it, a lot of people went missing and Mr. Calvin would report he'd see them going into his old property. At the time we failed to find any evidence and brushed it off as a fake lead. Then three years ago, bodies were found buried under the same property that he'd sold. There were so many that the townhouse had to be demolished just to get to them all. Sure showed us for not taking him seriously back then." She clicked her tongue. "A few weeks ago he reported seeing someone that matched your description wandering around the site. We decided to look into the case, just to be safe."