Chapter 25 - Do You See It?

Up until now, Aaron knew his actions in the past were affecting the present in some minor way, but somehow saving Trevor had made one big change.

There were a lot of tourists in the neighborhood now.

Aaron noticed a plaque had been put up in front of the townhouse, listing it as one of the most haunted places in the city. According to Doug, it had been there for a few years thanks to its online popularity as a supernatural hotspot. Year-round, people would come to take pictures, claiming to see the shadow folk in the windows.

Aaron couldn't believe it, and he wondered how the hell they were still able to afford to rent such a popular tourist spot without it being turned into a haunted tour. Though he figured its newfound popularity didn't change the fact that Todd and Terrance had already been renting it by the time the city decided to give the location a plaque. As for the cheap rent, the truth was that no matter how many people came to see a ghost, not many were interested in living there and dealing with the strange happenings.

Of course, Aaron made sure to check Elijah's channel. The man had a thing for hunting down previous tenants for interviews after all. He eventually found the video featuring Trevor's experience in the house, but it was one of the older ones. Trevor had chosen not to appear on the channel since he didn't like the creepy way that Elijah talked and dressed, but he did send a letter.

"-I mistook it for a robber." Elijah's eyes scanned the paper. It looked like the goth was set up in an old hotel with some cheap plastic skulls on the bed and black sheets covering the windows. "I felt dizzy and didn't get a good look at it. I just knew I needed to call the cops, so I did. Next thing I knew I was in the hospital being told there was a gas leak. Had I not called, I'd be dead." The goth grinned excitedly. "Sounds like this guy got lucky. When the cops searched the house for the intruder, they didn't find anyone or anything missing. All they had to go off of was this man's vague description of a dark figure."

Elijah looked up at the camera. "According to my research, the neighborhood that this house is in is known for its high crime rate. People get attacked and go missing all the time, so I knew it'd be a good spot to look for supernatural activity. I didn't expect to find someone who had a first-hand encounter before ever arriving though. Was it a robber? Or was it an evil spirit? Stay tuned and find out!" 

Aaron noticed there were quite a few changes to the channel as he hunted down the other videos. Elijah's focus changed from the deaths in the house to talking about the neighborhood disappearances. Aaron had to wonder why he was now more interested in the neighborhood crimes, then it came to him. 

In this new timeline, no one had died inside the house by the time Elijah started his investigation. 

Originally, Elijah was investigating the house because he'd heard people had been murdered in there. This time though, since no one died inside the house, he only had Trevor's letter and possibly Doug's murder to go off of, which naturally since Doug died outside of the house, would lead the man to look into the other crimes in the neighborhood.

From there he must have kept getting hits on previous tenants in the house, talking about a shadow being that protected them from harm. In the four videos that Trevor's story was brought up, Elijah's theory went from thinking it was a robber, to believing it was a ghost trying to kill him, to stating it was the same shadow that saved his life. He didn't come to that conclusion until after his encounter with shadow Aaron though. 

There were a few other channels that had gotten in on the hype. Some of them were full-blown television series that had interviewed the past tenants. Cliff of course appeared on as many shows as possible, with Elijah giving his perspective on how supernatural investigations should be properly run. The neighborhood itself had garnered a lot of attention now that Elijah's series was no longer exclusively about the house, causing people to question why the crime was so high in the area in the first place.