Chapter 19 - The Wicca Shop

The oddest thing about all of this was the knocking. As soon as Cliff was outside, it started up again.

Aaron was, unfortunately, standing right next to the door when he was whisked back to the present. He would have bolted to his room to play dumb but knew his loud footsteps would give him away. So he watched the door, making sure the splinter in the middle didn't get any bigger and backed away slowly.

The knocking sounded weak compared to all the other nights, though he could sense something was definitely on the other side, and it was angry.

His gaze shifted from the door to the stairs as he waited on the others to pop down and yell at him as usual. When they didn't, he took his chance to calmly return to his room where the sound finally stopped. Once it did, he got in bed but remained alert for the rest of the night.

Come morning, he had yet to receive a stern talking-to from any of his housemates and felt relieved that they had slept through the commotion for once. 

In the kitchen, Todd was keeping himself busy on his phone and intermittently switched between watching something and making breakfast.

Terrance hovered nearby like a worried mother, turning off the heat when the bacon was done and swapping out a bag of carrots for a bag of cheese when Todd failed to pay attention to his antics.

The bearded man didn't seem bothered by it, and Aaron wondered if he'd always been like that with Todd? It was one thing to move in with your friend, but to mother them like that...

He shrugged it off and sat on the couch to mull over last night's events. There were a few questions that he needed answered. 

First and foremost, he had to acknowledge the bad luck rumors that circled the house. He'd learned that there were plenty of stories in the neighborhood, but bad luck seemed to be a common theme and he certainly had his fair share of it.

Could it be the house? Was it capable of eating people? Or maybe...The memories of them? That was the closest explanation that he could come up with on why anyone who there would be forgotten. 

He wanted to find out what happened to Caleb, but since he was never confirmed dead, he had no leads. Plus the store he used to work at wasn't open overnight anymore. 

Maybe that's why his disappearance never garnered much media attention? Because the house made people forget?

But then...What was going to happen to Aaron?

He couldn't deny that everything people suspected about the house seemed to be happening to him right now. He was having plenty of bad luck, plus there was the footage of that shadow person descending upon him at midnight. And then there was the old man who had claimed Aaron would be 'forgotten too'.

Was he going to die if he stayed in the house much longer?

That thought terrified him, but he knew it was a stretch. He couldn't possibly die just from living in a house, right? Besides, he was able to make changes to the past, so if anything bad was supposed to happen to him, maybe a future tenant would come to rescue him just like he was doing with the others?

Speaking of which, he pulled up google and began searching for Cliff's old obituary, realizing he had forgotten to confirm things had changed for the man. When he couldn't find it, he smiled triumphantly. 

Reassured that he was able to change these tragic events, he opted to head out and hunt down that Wicca store he'd seen before. If anyone would know anything about ghosts and how they worked, it'd be...Well hopefully someone who worked there because he wasn't looking forward to reading a bunch of books.